Just Two Humans in a Bar

Amelia's POV

   I'm currently having drinks with Mer at Joe's Bar, our favorite after work hang out spot in the entire city of Seattle. Jo is sitting across the link in deep conversation with Link. Now I know what you're thinking, that's probably bothering you a little bit. In the beginning it did, but now, not anymore, Link and I have gotten to a place where we can put our differences aside for Scout and be co-parents without things being tense between us constantly. That's personal growth right there if you ask me. 

     As Mer and I are chatting about the chaotic events of our work day, including our joint surgery on an elderly man ironically named Richard (not Richard Webber though), there's someone entering the bar that immediately catches my eye. They seem to be the perfect combination of masculine and feminine based off of their appearance alone. After a solid minute of me checking them out, I catch Mer smirking at me and I scoff. "Oh come on Amelia, you so are checking out that person that just entered the bar. They're also wearing medical clothing which makes you even more intrigued. Go talk to them." 

      I blush and instantly become shy. "I-I don't know. I just got to be in a good place with Link and I don't want to do anything to mess that up." Mer nudges me. "You moving on isn't going to mess up your co-parenting relationship with Link. Link has moved on, you deserve to have that same opportunity." I sigh. "I know, you're right. Link and Jo are getting to know each other on a deeper level so I shouldn't feel guilty for wanting to do the same with someone new." I take a deep breath and head over to the person that I find so incredibly attractive. They're now sitting at a high table with a margarita glass in one hand and their phone in the other. They look up when they see me standing in front of them.

        They give me a soft smile. "Why hello there, how may I help you?" I stand there like an idiot for a moment before I finally clear my throat to speak up. "May I sit with you?" They smirk at me a little. "Why sit with me if you don't mind me asking? There are plenty of open seats at this bar, including the one next your.... friend or sister?" I blush even more intensely. "That's my sister... Y-You just intrigue me and I'd like to get to know you tonight if that's okay."  They motion for me to sit down so I do." They lean forward, their vanilla scented breath lingering on my face. "What's your name darling?" "My name is Amelia. What's yours?" They laugh and extend a hand out for me to shake. "My name is Kai. I'm a medical researcher who is new to the city. I'm still not used to the excessive rain though." 

       That statement makes me snort. "I was born in Seattle and still haven't gotten used to the excessive rain myself. I lived in LA for a brief period of time." Kai tilts their head at me, as if they are actually interested in hearing more about me. "I'm a neurosurgeon. I've worked at various hospitals over the years, though when I lived in LA briefly, I worked in a private practice with my brother's former wife. We remained close friends even after their divorce. She's been family to me for a long time and I couldn't shut her out of my life completely." Kai nods in understanding. "I completely understand what you're saying and I know that well from my own experiences."

          Kai and I end up talking so much that Mer ends up moving over to where Link and Jo are sitting to chat with them for a little while before leaving and winking at me on the way out. We share everything about what our families are like to our hobbies to... our sexualities. I don't know how we landed on this top, but it somehow has come up in conversation. "Kai, I'm actually Bisexual. I don't discuss my sexuality much with anyone, it's not that I don't feel safe telling people, but not many of my loved ones understand. You know?" Suddenly, a solemn expression appears on Kai's face and I just want to give them the biggest hug. "My parents have never understand my sexuality nor how I identify as non-binary. I tried so hard and for so long to have them accept me for who I am, but they just couldn't. That lack of acceptance has haunted me for years and even though I try my best to show that it doesn't bother me, it eats me alive."

       I end up doing the unexpected and throw myself into Kai's arms, giving them a warm embrace. They stare at me in shock for a moment before hugging me back. When we pull apart, I smile up at them. "We can worry about the complicated matters later on, including as to where we go from here, but right now, in this moment, we're just two humans in a bar." They wipe a tear away, nod in agreement, and flash me a soft smile. "We're just two humans in a bar."