2: Erilyn

I started my day as I usually did, ambling through the busy stalls in the kingdom's market in search of some food for myself and the kids. The payment for last night's job was just enough to buy something small for everyone, but not enough for a full meal. I went stall to stall until I found a few baskets of strawberries that were within my price range. A few shops down from the market was our town's baker, and he gladly passed on some burnt loaves to me. The baker had always provided for the kids after he ran into our group and saw how small they were. Though he couldn't give us fresh produce, as he sold out everyday, he did have burnt loaves set aside for us. I was starting to think he was burning them on purpose at this point.

When I returned to the children with my spoils from the market they were ecstatic to see me, and of course, the food. After they happily munched on the food, they went back to playing, starting up a game of tag and squealing as they rushed about. Soon though, their game began to turn wild and they all raced into the streets, too distracted by their game to be aware of their surroundings. It was a few minutes later that a carriage came rushing down that same street. It only took me a second to pull the children out of the way, and only a second later for the carriage to close in. Thankfully, the driver stopped before the horses hit me, but their faces were still very close to my own. I glared at them and they whinnied before backing the carriage up.

"Next time you decide to go galloping through the streets, be aware of other people who might be out in them." I growled at the driver.

"What the devil's going on?!" An angry male voice yelled from within the carriage. Soon the source of the voice stepped out, and I wasn't shocked to see that the man looked filthy rich. He stood tall and proud, his eyes a fierce hazel that nearly matched his brown hair perfectly cropped below a gold crown. He was wearing a royal red silk top, black pants, black boots, and a black cape, which was fastened to his neck with gold buttons. The epitome of arrogance stands before me, I thought to myself. "Are you the person who caused this carriage to be stopped?" The man yelled as he glared at me, his face turning crimson.

I returned his glare steadily, knowing well that no matter how this situation ended I was entitled to some lashings for not pleading to this royal for forgiveness. "The one who caused this is your driver who was not careful of the children in the streets," I answered begrudgingly, dreading every word I would have to say to this man.

"Those children are nothing but trash. The poor of the poor, and you are the same! You are going to be punished for how you are talking to me!" He pulled out his sword and pointed it at me.

"Lord Izen don't! His Majesty has tried very hard to keep the peace of this kingdom!" The driver said, alarmed.

"These children are the richest of people. They have had more experiences than you, and are wise beyond that of their age! So if I die protecting them, that will be the best way to go!" I yelled, pulling out my own sword out of its sheath. It gleamed under the bright day light as I pointed it toward the lord and prepared to lunge. I heard both men's breaths catch in their throats when they saw my sword. "What's wrong? Never had a peasant woman threaten to duel?" I mocked them.

"Dimitri, is that the sword from the legends?" The lord asked the driver.

"Yes. The second of the swords." The driver (Dimitri was it?) replied.

"Then she is...." The lord looked over at me as if I were some kind of rare bird or animal, a look of amazement and disgust.

"Erilyn. The second daughter." Dimitri said as he too looked over at me with an astonished face.

"How do you know my name?" I asked cautiously. Any peasant in the kingdom knew that if a royal or a noble knew of your name, it was not for good reasons. Now two knew of my name, so obviously I was in some deep shit. "I don't believe I have done wrong." Well, except threaten to cut them down for being assholes.