14: Dimitri

*Earlier that day*

Leaving Erilyn's room I examined the choker given to her by Lord Varen. By the looks of it, it was a very expensive piece, the emeralds perfectly placed to accent the black metal vines that were crafted just lightly enough the piece would sit delicately along Erilyn's neck. Something inside me tightened at the thought that another man had purchased something so fine for her, knowing it would go well against her tanned skin and the color of her eyes. Now it was my job to design a piece to overshadow the necklace, and show it off as an accentuating piece to her ensemble. That I could definitely do, and the thought of bettering Lord Varen at a gift for Erilyn for some reason put a smirk on my face. That was until, I heard the familiar quick step of Princess Marie approaching.

"Oh Dimitri!" Princess Marie called, in that fake coy tone she typically used with me. It took all of my self control not to roll my eyes as she approached, and I lowered my hands with hope that she didn't notice Erilyn's necklace. Needless to say she did. "Oh Dimitri, is that a gift for me? You shouldn't have!" She quickly moved to grab the necklace, but I stepped back and tucked it into my pocket.

"It's a gift from Lord Varen to Princess Erilyn for her upcoming trip to the Hummingbird Kingdom." I said dryly. It made me somewhat happy to see her face slightly pale when she heard Erilyn's name. There was a hint of something darker in her eyes though that caught me by surprise. Whether jealousy or something else I couldn't tell, but as she stood straight and squared her shoulders it was very obvious she was incredibly displeased with this information.

"So, she conned the Lord into jewels now did she?" I was astounded by the bite in her words. Princess Marie had always tried to be on her best behavior around me, even if it was obviously fake, but this was a completely different Marie from what I was accustomed to seeing.

"She didn't con anyone Princess. She's been of great assistance to the Queen and Lord of the Hummingbird Kingdom. I would think it rude if she had not been offered a gift in return." Princess Marie pursed her lips as she mulled this over.

"Then they wasted their money. Everyone knows a commoner knows nothing of royal affairs. And they're foolish to believe a word she says. She-" A servant I commonly saw at Princess Marie's side came rushing up, bowing to Marie before whispering in her ear. I watched as Princess Marie's facial expression darkened further, her brows knitting together an rage burning in her eyes. "Thank you for informing me" she told the servant who bowed again and scurried past me with her eyes fixed on the floor. "It seems it's not just you and Lord Varen she has her eyes on." And with that she marched past me as well, caught up in her thoughts and anger charging the air around her. I didn't know what Erilyn could have done to upset Princess Marie so, but whatever it was had deeply offended her. Not that it was any of my business anyway, Princess Marie had offended many a servant and soldier over the years so it was about time someone gave it right on back to her. 

I made my way down the hall and out to the courtyard, barely dodging an arrow going by my head. "Hey!" I growled, looking in the direction of a group of my old subordinates who were laughing and pointing at me. "Your aim is getting worse with time!" 

"And you're getting slower! What ever happened to catching the arrows General?" Bryan, who had been my right hand, approached me with a sarcastic grin on his face as he neared and slapped me on the shoulder. "Are you letting the palace life turn you soft?" 

"Of course not. Do you need an ass whooping to put you back in your place?" I smirked as his eyes light up and he made a fake terrified gesture with his hands. 

"Oooooh I'm so scared." Bryan joked with a kind smile. Gods I missed our bantering and joking, both here at home and on the battlefield. "Word has it the war with the Hummingbird Kingdom is almost over. They brought us back from the front line yesterday. What all has changed?"