Chapter 1

Hizashi packed up all the papers that he’d been grading, setting everything aside and started spinning mindlessly in his office chair, whistling a small tune he’d created off the top of his head while he waited for his friends to come back. Nemuri had taken Shouta out of the teacher’s lounge to talk before they went home.

Those two have been bickering and being unusually passive aggressive around one another lately. Taking all these jabs at each other. I hope everything’s fine between them, they’ve never fought before. At least, not like this.

Shou’s seemed especially angry lately, too. I’ll probably ask him about it once he gets back.

He pushed his glasses back up and quit spinning once he heard the door crack back open, feeling immediately dizzy, noting that perhaps spinning very fast for multiple minutes wasn’t the best of his ideas.

The two of them both looked irritated, taking their usual seats next to each other, with Shouta scooting his chair closer to Hizashi, earning a glare from Nemuri.

“Okay. What’s goin’ on here, dudes?” Hizashi asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

“Why don’t you unload your whole list of complaints onto Zashi, too?” Shouta spat out, linking arms with Hizashi.

Is this argument about how Shouta’s been uncharacteristically clingy these last few months?

Nemuri paused, trying to find words as she looked at Hizashi in a kind, yet concerned way. Almost motherly.

“What’s the issue? You had no problem telling me to, in your exact words, ‘Leave Hizashi the fuck alone.’”

“Wh-what?” Hizashi gasped softly, confused as he looked between the two of them. “Are ya- why are you two-”

Are they seriously fighting over me like children?

“Look, Zashi. Shouta’s been really creepy lately and,” She gestured at how tightly he was grabbing Hizashi’s arm, which was admittedly, a bit painful. “Super possessive.”

“Are you not aware that he enjoys physical contact?” Shouta argued, squeezing tighter and making Hizashi flinch.

“Shouta let go of Zashi! You’re literally hurting him!”

“It’s all good-” He began, immediately getting talked over again, which he really wasn’t used to.

“You have no authority over what I do, Nemuri. If Hizashi has a problem, he’ll, oh I don’t know, say something? You know, since that’s what he does all the time? Constantly?”

“Maybe he hasn’t realized because you’re a conniving, manipulative dick-”

CUT IT OUT!!” Hizashi yelled, his frustration making it rather hard not to activate his quirk on accident. “What is wrong with you two?!”

The room went quiet, with Shouta refusing to take his glare off of Nemuri as she softly apologized to Hizashi.

“Cmon, dudes,” Hizashi whispered, looking at each of them for a second. “We’ve been best friends for years! This is immature and you both know it. Hell, Shou should be the one arguing for maturity, not me!”

“I’m sorry, Zashi. I’m friends with the old Shouta,” Nemuri said, standing up and leaving the room. “Not this creepy, Hizashi-obsessed asshole. I’m going home. You’re welcome to come along, Zashi. Before your arm gets too badly bruised.”

With how tightly he was being held onto, he got a small feeling that he wouldn’t be going home with Nemuri today. Hizashi gave an apologetic smile, feeling odd as he watched her shake her head and walk away.

I guess Shouta being… off… has been noticeable to other people, too. But he’s still the same Shouta I know, right? He’s not manipulative… or a creep.

Right?

“I think I should head home, too,” Hizashi rushed out after a minute, gently tugging his trapped arm so Shouta might let go. “I’m really stressed out right now, I need to go home.”

This was the first time he’s ever hurt me.

It was probably an accident. He wouldn't do that again.

I just want to go home.

Shouta reluctantly let go, giving a reassuring smile. It wasn’t unsettling, it was just the normal, kind smile that Shouta had given him for years. The one only given to Hizashi. Nobody else ever got to see him smile.

“That's fine. I’m sorry about all this, you don’t deserve that stress. Do you want me to drive you home?”

His usual go-to question, signaling that he wanted to come over and stay the night, since he’d leave his own car parked at UA and take Hizashi’s van.

“Sure,” Hizashi agreed, not at all sure. Nemuri’s complaint kept repeating in his head and he didn’t feel like too much social interaction for the rest of the day.

I guess this is a test to see who matters to me more. But I see them both as equals. Can I even do something without picking one over the other anymore.

My best bet is pleasing Shouta now. He could definitely hurt me if he wanted, and I can’t risk anything, I don’t want him mad.

Just… Be agreeable.