─Chapter Twenty Four

Story: The Titans of Secrets
Chapter Twenty Four: Gaining Knowledge

When Dragonfly opened her eyes, she was standing in a dark room lit by a lone floating lamp.

"Lumos." With her wand's tip lit, she raised it high to take a look at the room; it was a rather peculiar shaped room: hexagon in shaped and divided into two by a glass wall. Books looking as old as Merlin himself filled the wooden bookshelves. When Dragonfly walked further to inspect the glass wall, she spotted another hooded figure fumbling through the darkness.

"Shade?" she asked unsurely. A sudden moment later, the room on the other side was illuminated by the figure's wand. Dragonfly could see the sparkling emerald eyes of Shade.

"Dragonfly?" he croaked out. Dragonfly quickly walked to the glass and placed her hand on them. Shade walked closer to the divider too. "D'you know why we are here?"

"Shade, I'm sorry," she apologized, remembering that she had never gotten the opportunity to apologize to him as Dragonfly. "I shouldn't have shown my frustration on you. I am truly sorry!" Shade gave her a thumbs up which did nothing to pacify her guilt. "Shade. . . please, say something!" Her voice sounded desperate; the tone she did not like.

"It's okay, Dragonfly. Everything is chill," he said and shrugged.

"I don't think it is. If it was you would call me by your several nicknames for me," Dragonfly reasoned, crossing her arms over chest. Shade shrugged again.

"It's just that. . . I have found my true love, I suppose you could say that."

Dragonfly's heart skipped a beat. Sure, he had asked her out on a date but surely she did not anticipate him calling Ginny as his true love. "Really?" she asked slowly. He nodded and smiled, more to himself.

"I'm gonna meet her later today. Do you know why we are here? Because I want to see her as soon as possible," Shade said.

"Um. . . I don't know. . . But I guess I get it. . . that girl, whoever she is, deserves you more." Shade flashed her a small smile. "And I am –" Dragonfly was interrupted before the completion of her sentence by the lights coming on.

"Good morning, Unspeakables." Dragonfly saw Blackburn approaching from behind Shade. She wheeled around to see Silverflight walking towards her, a rather heavy book in her arms.

"Good morning, Dragonfly," Silverflight greeted her. Dragonfly replied in kind before the book was given to her, almost weighing her down. "That, is a really useful book. You must read the earmarked pages for now. Can I trust you to do that today?" the older Unspeakable asked. Dragonfly nodded, looking at the cover of the tattered book bind. The fading golden words shone at her. The Ancient Book of Secrets.

Dragonfly wheeled around to look at Blackburn give Shade something.

"Do I have to read it here?" she asked. She was not looking forward to missing her date. Silverflight nodded sternly.

"I'm afraid it is absolutely mandatory and important. Remember Dragonfly, time is of an essential essence and you must learn to have it at the tip of your fingertips; plans and plotting comes later," the Unspeakable advised her. Dragonfly nodded and found a chair and a table to get cozy. "If you have any questions, any at all, remember to ask yourself. Because you are the best answer for your problems. Follow your heart and. . . good luck," Silverflight continued and looked at Blackburn. The latter glanced back at her at the very same moment, leading Dragonfly to question herself about whether or not Unspeakables had a mental connection with each other.

Silverflight left after a few minutes and Dragonfly looked over at Shade. He was engrossed with a book similar to hers. Looking down at the book on the table, she began reading.

The first earmarked chapter was about a mist creating charm which looked fairly easy. The charm with the incantation Argentea Nebula created an animal (or bird) which would dissipate into thick fog as soon as the conjurer commanded it to do so. The animal or bird would depend on the path they choose to act one: light or dark, easy or difficult. Dragonfly tried it out but in vain.

The next chapter, which although was not earmarked, interested her. It contained the photos and some information on evil magical creatures which supposedly existed back in the days of Merlin. The sharp fanged Vampire, the vile looking deer based monster Wendigo, the Sphinx; all looked back at her as if wanting to tear her from limb to limb. Every beast had a weakness, Dragonfly noted. From garlic to fire to even the colour red, Dragonfly was fascinated by how even the most terrifying of beasts had simple weak points.

She flipped through the pages, feeling rejuvenated because of the biblichor of the ancient book. After a very long hour, she looked up and saw Shade standing up to leave.

"Are you leaving?" she called out to him. Without looking at her, he nodded. "Have fun then. With your girl, I mean," she said. He gave her another thumbs up before teleporting away, leaving her to the eternal silence surrounding the bookshelves and the lone Unspeakable that she was.

Deciding to read for a few more minutes, she flipped through several chapters, scanning about runes, protection symbols and charms, hexes and whatnot. At last came a bunch of newspaper articles which seemed older than a decade.

The fall of The Dark Lord?

Tragedy at MACUSA? A DARK WIZARD ON LOOSE?

Gellert Grindelwald Versus Albus Dumbledore?! The victory of . . .?

YOU-KNOW-WHO: DANGEROUS WIZARD SETS EYE ON AN INFANT!

THE PAST AND LIFE OF TOM RIDDLE: AN UNTOLD STORY BY —

Whatever was next, Dragonfly could not make out. It was scratched beyond belief. Sighing in tiredness, she stood up and put the articles back into the book before placing it in an empty spot on the shelf.

She took a deep breath and looked around. The empty room sent shivers down her spine. For some reason, the room in itself was really unnerving to her. The fact that Shade prioritized Ginny over his job was simply next to the feeling that the hexagon shaped place was giving her.

Closing her eyes and emptying her thoughts, she teleported back to Hogwarts, the place she called home.

I'm so sorry for not updating last Thursday! I wasn't keeping so well.

Hope you did not find this chapter boring. I dropped tons of Easter eggs lol.

Your thoughts on this chapter? Comment!✨

Thank you for reading!

Miyoko x