Chapter 5

Amira's POV

     I was able to finally have a good rest after a long day of traveling and immediately working in here .

I tucked Riley in bed after discussing with Ryo about still giving me my monthly salary despite promising to give Riley the best education she had. It was not rush though, Riley doesn't start school in about 2 months and the way of living here is enough for us to survive. This girl is a little too generous!

   When I changed into my night gown, I heard the servant bell ringing from the corridor which means it calls for servants. I didn't have the time to change back in my uniform and quickly determined where the ring came from the monitor and it says it's from the lobby.

  I quickly sprinted towards there and hugging my robe to cover my nightwear at the same time  only to find a silhouette of a woman talking to Ryo and she was dripping wet because of the heavy rain. Her coat was drenched as if she ran here with no umbrella or anything of some sort to keep her dry. The dim night light did not even help me make up a face, being me who is not very good at determining faces in the dark didn't even bother to try and distinguish the stranger.

  I quickly took the initiative to take a clean towel from the laundry and when I came back I heard a very familiar voice talking.

  "I'm afraid the rain would damage my carriage and the pathway was flooding that the wheels almost got caught in the mud so we are unable to depart to the nearest hotel. My brother and Axel is in the carriage." I stopped in my tracks when that figure made me realize who I'm looking at. I almost dropped my towel not believing that I took too long to know who this person is!

    She came back because of the rain yet even when I try to, I can't conceal the love and resentment I felt towards her.. and not to mention how my heart immediately felt like it was being clenched by a soldier's hand.  She's still beautiful and her eyes have turned cold and unfathomable. I never dared look into her eyes since she got here but now that I am actually looking into her's, the magnetic pull was there.

  "Yes, Yes You're Imperial Highness. We will fetch your brother and Axel. Please make yourself at home. The guest room is open for your leisure and we'll escort the rest to theirs. Towel! Get Towel!" I heard the head butler stated.

   I quickly ran with the towel in my hand and put it over her head to keep her dry and helped her guide towards the guest room around here. The lobby that should've been silent within this hour have now become buzzing with busy people, preparing for the rooms and everything while I remained my duty like any other servant would do.

  Still, I could not believe I would be able to see her like this and assessing her. The pride in me didn't like that I'm guiding her to comfort but she needed it. Even if she was an *ss, she's still the Empress whom everyone loves.

   I guess it was stupid of me to think that crossing the border meant cutting off everything that belong in Iverton. But even the lingering feelings are still here and it made me somewhat angry. I'm not supposed to feel like I still love her. The disappointment and pain felt intense, even I start to despise myself.

  No, Why on earth would I even try to understand this pointless feeling involving her?! I can't tend this horrible feeling now because everything is all in the past.  My daughter is here now, I don't have time for useless reunited secret lovelofr that turn into an experience that traumatized me.

   All of the time, the Empress was silent which made it even more awkward for the both of us. Even with a fancy carriage. She didn't bring any knights or guards to protect  and tend her. Now she's running back to the mansion alone, drenched and cold.  What unwise decision, Your Highness.

  The mansion wasn't completely renovated so if we need to heat something inside the guestroom. I had to collect woods and build a fire. In my mind, I was hoping that I'm not being sloppy when I felt her shivering in her wet clothes.

 "Just a moment, Your Highness. The servants will fetch you comfortable clothes soon. For now, it's best that you take a warm bath." I kept my voice as low as I can. I didn't care if she understand me or not but I didn't like the pleasure of wanting to talk to her.

  When the room started to get warm, I quickly got the bath water running. But I froze when footsteps got louder and I'm suddenly completely wrapped around by a pair of soaking arms , resulting me to sit directly on the cold marbled floor. My whole body immediately shivered up to the reaction and my heart started pounding frustratingly loud, I could hear it. 

H-Has she gone crazy!?

  "Amira...." she sighed in my ear.

F*ck... She recognized me! I quickly put my hand over my mouth in shock. She recognized me that quick even in my ma—Wha- oh....

  I DON'T HAVE MY SANITARY MASK ON!

   I literally mentally slapping my forehead in disappointment. How bold of me to come up to her without my f*cking sanitary mask!

  "I-I'm sorry, you're Majesty but I think you got the wrong person." I said and quickly pushed myself away from her. Attempting to look like I am not interested in her and at the same time act like I am puzzled.

   What, just because she's an Empress she can do whatever she wants and invade my private space? Not to mention with soaking clothes?!

  "Amira, I can't be wrong! Tell me it's you!" She pleaded. "You Imperial Highness, You got it all wrong." I repeated, I will not give her the satisfaction that I recognize her as much as she recognizes me. I changed everything I physically can but somehow, she can still remember the person whom she abandoned?!

 "Please do not lie to me!" When I saw how her tears streaming down her face, I lost it.

  "I SAID IT'S NOT ME!!" I yelled at her and stood up from the floor. After leaving me to almost died, she still have the guts to hug me like she never not fought for me? For us? 

  I cleared my throat and bowed my head out of pure respect.

  "M-My apologies, it's my first day at work. I will notify the head maid to tend you immediately, You're Imperial Highness. Please excuse me." I said and quickly bowed again before leaving her, not once giving her a chance to speak nor a spare of my glance.

   What for!? She wasn't there to listen when I needed her.

  She broke me into millions of pieces ,  she has no right to call my name like I am her long lost friend. I didn't even notice I was already in the middle of silently sobbing while walking towards the head maid's office.

I hated myself for placing my hopes and happiness in you, Moon. Look where it got me.

to be continued...