Camp Cupid - Part Three

Comenzar desde el principio

Dylan stepped closer and leaned forward to read the note then flicked his eyes up to meet Spencer's.

"My handwriting isn't that bad," he smiled wryly, straightening up again. "So, it looks like someone is setting us up."

"So it would seems" Spencer huffed, folding the note again and slipping it into his pocket. "I shall go back and have words with people."

He pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose and took a step back to turn back on the path he had just taken, the treeline looking more daunting than before now that the light was fading further.

"Whoa, hold on," Dylan said, grabbing onto his wrist. "Come on, let loose...someone obviously set this up for us, may as well enjoy it right?"

Spencer glanced down at Dylan's hand and then looked away, clearing his throat.

"Um...I don't know, it's getting late."

"It's not that late," Dylan smiled, letting go of his wrist, "besides, it's been a while since I had an actual date."

"Date?!" Spencer shrieked, his voice unintentionally higher than he had intended for it to be.

"Sure," Dylan shrugged, slipping his free hand into the pocket of his jeans. "Unless you don't want it to be, which is cool too."

Spencer paused and Dylan could have sworn that he visibly saw the uptight man's brain shut down, his face slack and his eyes wide as he tried to process what had just occurred.

Eventually, he snapped his mouth shut as his cheeks flushed lightly.

"You actually want it to be a date?"

Dylan shrugged, his eyes roaming over the area as though he couldn't dare to meet Spencer's.

"I wouldn't say no."

"With me? Why? I don't get it."

"What's not to get? I like you. Have for a while."

"Okay, but why?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"You want me to list the reasons? There's many."

Dylan stared at Spencer, not unkindly but still in a way that had the other man squirming in his spot, as though he had said something wrong or stupid and now he wanted the ground to eat him up.

After a painfully drawn-out moment, Dylan moved closer again and put a hand on Spencer's shoulder, smiling down at him in a way that made Spencer's stomach flip and his heart jolt.

"Sit down with me, Spence and I'll tell you all about it."

Spencer looked up at him, internally cursing him for being at least two inches taller.

But the kindness in his eyes and the smile aimed just at him made his resolve quickly shrivel up and he could only drop his head as he nodded, having to push his glasses up his nose once again.

"Okay," he said, barely above a whisper. "But let's not make this a habit."

---

"You did what?"

I looked at Taylor from my place on the floor, a clipboard in my hand as I went over the next day's activities.

"I set them up on a picnic, used secret notes and everything."

"Man," she groaned, flopping back onto her bed. "That's so lame!"

"I'm at a camp, what am I meant to do? Put them in a canoe and push them into the lake to sail away?"

"That would have been funnier and we could have at least watched it."

I rolled my eyes and looked back at my sheet.

"You can still go and spy on them, check it out and see if they actually bothered."

Taylor scoffed, throwing a hand into the air.

"Come on, we all know Spencer wouldn't make his way to The Pit over a mystery note."

"Hey, don't crap all over my idea, you never know."

"We both know."

I stared at her, narrowing my eyes and silently cursing at her for likely being right.

"I told you I wasn't good with romance," I muttered, glaring at her knees.

"Yeah well, you better come up with a better idea because there's no way that'll work."

I nodded slowly, biting the inside of my bottom lip as the cogs in my head turned before finally snapping into place.

"You know...I'm willing to bet it will."

There was a couple of beats of silence, me staring at Taylor staring at the ceiling.

Then she shifted on the bed and pushed herself up on her elbows to meet my eye, that mischievous smile in its usual place, her hair unusually tousled as she rose an eyebrow.

"Oh, I am taking you up on that."