°•° 8 °•°

Start from the beginning

Sav must have understood my hesitation because as she scanned a little grey onesie, she casually said, "I could stay at the hospital."

I paused in handing her another item. "But... don't you already spend enough time there? And you have your classes."

She didn't look at me as she replied, "Sure. But I wouldn't mind staying."

"Really?"

Finally, she stopped checking out and rested her hands on her hips. "I can study just as easily at the hospital as I can back at my dorm. It's no big deal."

I honestly couldn't believe it. Not that it wasn't like her to offer, but it was a big thing to ask of her, especially since she already had so much on her plate and we barely knew each other.

But her words on the roof from several days ago replayed in my mind, I like helping people. If this is what she wanted then how could I pass up the opportunity?

Tentatively, I nodded. "Okay... And you could call me if anything happened?"
The corner of her lip twitched as she transferred bags back to the cart. "Well that'd be kind of hard considering I probably don't have the lung capacity to yell at you all the way from the hospital."

I furrowed my brow. "What..." But then I realized. "Oh, you don't have my number."

She sent me her gapped tooth smile over her shoulder, a smile that was starting to become familiar to me.

"I can give it to you."

She faced me and nodded resolutely. "Sounds like a plan."

Aftering paying the ridiculous price of all the items combined, we climbed back into my Mercedes. I started the ignition, but hesitated in taking off. "So..."

Sav glanced at me. "So?"

I sighed. "Do you mind if I head to my apartment and drop this stuff off before taking you back to the hospital?"

She smirked. "Kason. We barely know each other."

I clenched my jaw nervously. "I-"

She burst into laughter, shoving my arm. "I'm joking."

I released my jaw and took a breath, though I still felt tension from embarrassment riddling my chest. "Right. Sorry. Normally I pick up on those. It's just been a long week."

She sobered, giving me a serious nod. "Yeah, I know." She didn't add.

I turned out on the street, a silence settling in the car. Unable to stand it for too long, I turned on the radio. Though it was quiet, it at least was a little bit of noise to help my thoughts not be too overwhelmingly loud.

Sav pulled out her phone and I glanced over periodically, a little too curious for my own good. I noticed her scrolling through a bunch of words, but I couldn't tell what they were saying.

"What are you reading?" I asked, trying to sound perfectly natural.

She looked up at me before back down at her phone. "Just an article that my brother sent me."

"Oh."

It was quiet for a moment except for the music I had turned on. After a long few seconds like this, Sav looked at me again, smirking. "I can tell you're dying to know about what."

I chuckled slightly. "Maybe."

"Mhm," she responded with a smile. She turned her phone off and went on to clarify, "My brother loves facts and evidence and the absolute truth. He's actually studying to be a lawyer. So anytime he finds an article that he agrees with, he'll send it to me and have me play devil's advocate, asking him the hard questions so that he can practice."