°•° 7 °•°

Start from the beginning

"Wow. Sounds riveting."

"Oh, it's a blast. But I can't lie, it can be fun trying to decipher what the doctors have written in files."

I cracked a smile. "So the stereotypical horrible doctor handwriting is a thing?"

She shrugged. "For most of them. I think after spending half their life in school, they kind of just stop caring. I know I would."

"Fair enough."

Spinning around again, she snapped a few times before sighing. "You know what? I'll just finish up transferring this file and then clock out early. No one will mind."

I leaned back in the chair, giving her a nod as she refocused on her task. Peering around the room surrounding me, I found nothing interesting to look at as I passed the time. Which made my thoughts wander.

I felt a little guilty for leaving Abby here by herself while I went out and tried to scramble to learn how to take care of her. But I didn't have much of a choice. I thought maybe I would feel a little anger toward my sister for forcing me into this situation. But all I felt was anger toward Dilan. And my parents. And maybe a bit at myself.

My eyes fluttering closed, I remembered back to almost a year ago. It felt almost like a distant dream now.

"Kaybree. We need to talk," my dad said that night at the dinner table. I had come over to eat with them. We always ate together, as a family, at least once a week.

Kaybree looked up from where she was just barely picking at her salad. I had started to notice her leaving more and more on her plate recently, no matter how hard she tried to hide it. Tonight, I had been watching. Waiting. Seeing when she would take that first bite.

She hadn't yet.

"About what?" she asked warily, hearing the seriousness in our father's tone. I had heard it too and set down my fork against the edge of my plate.

Our parents exchanged a look, one that meant business, before Mom looked at Kaybree with a soft yet sure gaze. "It's about Dilan."

I immediately saw Kaybree put up her walls. "No." She threw down her fork. "No, you need to stop this."

"Honey, just hear us out, okay?" Mom pleaded. "Just... listen. Please."

Kaybree's eyebrows were furrowed. She rarely got angry. Except when our parents brought up Dilan.

Glancing at me, she looked for her cue. If she should stay. Leave. Speak. Stay silent. I gave her a slightly stern look, making her sigh and mutter, "Fine. What?"

My mom quieted and let Dad take the lead. He wiped his mouth before folding his hands. "Bree, I know that Dilan has become a big part of your life. And I know that you are very invested in your relationship with him. But I don't think he's become a great influence on you."

She looked up at the ceiling. She was trying not to roll her eyes. "Dilan is not a bad influence! You guys are just trying to make him one. I don't understand why you hate him."

"Honey, we don't hate him," Mom interjected. "But look at you, Bree. You can't tell us that you're happy now. Maybe you used to be, but..."

Kaybree bolted straight from her seat. "You can't tell me what I feel! I don't understand! You never acted like this toward Kason. Ever! You always faun all over his girlfriends! Heck, aren't you already planning his and Mora's wedding?"