Chapter 14

Athena

I waited patiently outside of the hospital wing, constantly wiping my face to rid the tears that had fallen. It was daunting sitting in the unknown. I heard rumours pass from student to student, but I was unaware of the truth. I knew for certain dad was somewhere in the castle, about to get the soul sucked out of him. The minister of magic was here, proving that point further. I paced back and fourth, racking my brain for ideas. Anyone who would know the truth was unavailable right now. Remus was in the woods because he didn't get his wolfsbane, Harry and Hermione were nowhere to be found, and Ron was laid up with a broken leg in and out of consciousness. It was horrid sitting here in the dark. All I knew for fact was that Peter had escaped. He was the only living proof that my father was innocent, and now he was nowhere to be found. Professor Snape had been striding around the halls like a hero. I didn't dare ask him for the truth, knowing it would be useless.

I heard the door open before me and I looked up, hopefully. Maybe it was someone I could talk to. I knew I wouldn't be able to see Harry, Hermione or Ron, but maybe it was someone with some information. Exiting the room was Cornelius Fudge and Severus Snape. I sighed and shook my head, turning away. I made sure that they couldn't see my tear stained face. The last thing I needed was ridicule from Snape.

"Miss Black?" Snape spoke softly from behind me. I turned around and faced him, not really caring what I looked like anymore.

"What?" I spat, causing the Minister to give a surprised look. He surely wasn't used to such disrespect for the Hogwarts professors. Severus was a special case in that matter. The look of him made me nauseous. Snape's eyes scanned my face. He caught sight of my puffy eyes and running makeup. He noticed my shaking form. His lips upturned into an evil smile.

"I take it you heard what's happening to your father, haven't you?" He taunted. My hands clenched into fists and I held back a sob. How dare he ask me that? It was unbelievable that he had such a small heart. A teacher was supposed to care about their students, not treat them like this. Rage bubbled behind my eyes. The room turned red. "Sad, isn't it?" He drawled. The words fell from his lips in a delicate swirl. They fell around my ears and slapped me in the face.

"Keep your mouth shut if you know what's good for you." I hissed. His eyes didn't move. He was used to my tone. He cast his glance to the minister, tired of my attitude already. "This is your fault." He shot his stare back at me. My hard set jaw and scowl caused him to chuckle.

"Temper, this one." He said to Cornelius. He sounded bored, as if my pain wasn't amusing anymore. My stomach curdled as the words began to form in my head. There was so much I could say to him, so much that would hurt him. They weren't good enough. I wanted something that would penetrate his soul.

"You have been vindictive and cold since the day I arrived here." I started, my strong tone gaining his attention. "You have watched me grow and become the person I am. You said it yourself, I reminded you of my mother since the first time I stepped foot in this castle." His face fell. "You sit here like you're on a pedestal. You sit with pride knowing you've sentenced an innocent man to death. Even now, you can't let her go, you never could. You were angry with my father for making her fall in love with him." He upturned his nose at me. "You hold a grudge older than I am. If you truly cared for her like you claim you do, you would have mercy. You would have mercy on the man she loved. If you can't do it for him, you should be able to do it for her daughter." I made myself stand, leaving my position on the floor. I was in his face now. "Her own flesh and blood." His eyes were full of hatred. "I came here with no opinion on you, yet you already had a deep seeded hatred of me for no good reason. I am not my mother, nor my father. You hate me like I am. You are sitting here, ridiculing a fifteen year old girl for grieving her parent. You hold a power that could change my life, but you are so pig headed that you can't see past your youth." The anger fell from my body. I was in a wrath, now. My hands shook as I pointed at him. "You are a conceited, stubborn, self-righteous bastard. I know exactly why my mother didn't want to be friends with you. She found someone who appreciated and cared for her. That was something you could never do. You are killing a man today, and that just proves her right. Even in death you continue to disappoint her." Tears fell steadily. My body was vibrating. He stared in shock. He didn't believe I had it in me to stand up to him. For once, instead of calling him names, I truly fought back. I was done being a punching bag at the hands of a man who had no right to be hitting. The names and the insults never bothered him, but this? This broke him.