Chapter 1

Athena

Dad was sent to Azkaban two years later. I, of course never believed he was guilty. Not for a minute. Maybe it was blind loyalty, but from what I was told it didn't reason well that he would betray James like that. Despite my feelings on the topic, there's nothing I could do. I was still a baby then, and legally had Remus inscribed as my guardian. The same night of the accident, I moved in with Remus as soon as the news had been spread.

Not only was dad arrested that night, but Lily and James Potter had been murdered. It all seemed to happen so fast. I went from having the best family I could've ever imagined, to just a godfather that turned into a werewolf every month. Don't get me wrong, I love Remus. He's wonderful and I care for him greatly, but to go from having everyone to just my godfather so quickly, it was something I'd never wish upon anyone. Although I was too young to remember the connection I had with them, they lived in my heart. I knew how important they were. Harry was too young to actually be my friend at the time this all happened, so he wasn't really close with me now. Perhaps it was the fact I was two years older than him and lived in a magical village while he was stuck with his unruly aunt and uncle. He knew my name and my face in passing, but I kept my distance and tried to refrain from talking to him.

At the age of eleven, I, just like my father and the rest of my family, had gotten my Hogwarts acceptance letter. It was no big surprise, as I had many indicators in my adolescence. I adapted to the fact I was a wizard pretty quickly, considering who my family was. After the knowledge of where I would be going to school, I suffered many tears and rage filled nights. My worry subsided when I had gotten sorted into the same house as my father had. With my genealogical background, it was a common fear that I would be put into Slytherin. I had been terrified of that outcome, but I had nothing to worry about. The sorting hat had considered putting me in Ravenclaw, but it placed me in Gryffindor instead. Before school, I never could make friends easily, considering I was the daughter of Sirius Black. When I was sorted, it seemed as though as soon as I sat at the Gryffindor table, I had made fast friends with a set of twins named Fred and George Weasley. They didn't care about my background, they just cared about the fact I had a sense of humour.

And now, I'm here, sitting on the Hogwarts Express with my feet on George's legs and my head on Fred's shoulder, about to start my fifth year. Time really flew when you were having fun. Aside from the terrors of the last two years, life had been a blast. "Have you heard?" I asked the two. Fred, who was now subconsciously playing with my hair, answered for both.

"Hmm?" He replied, looking down at me.

"Dad's broken out," I state simply. George looked up from whatever he was distracted by and stared at me.

"Your father... Broke out of Azkaban?" He asked wearily, and I nod, looking down at my hands.

"Has.. You or Remus..?"

"No, I haven't and I don't think Remus has." I shrug.

"Are you okay?" He questioned.

"Yeah, I mean, I never thought of him as guilty. Even so, he probably screwed things up for himself, anyway." I sighed and stood up. "Wanna go annoy Harry and Ron?" I asked, standing up. They nodded, following me to wherever I was going. I lead them down the corridor to where I knew Harry, Hermione, Ron and Remus were sharing a compartment.

As I was making my way towards it, the train slowed and an eerie silence filled the train. Heads appeared at the doors of each compartment, wondering what was going on. The train came to a sudden halt and the lamps flickered off. I backed up a step and ran into one of the twins chests.

"Lumos," Fred and George chorused and a light came from the tip of each wand.

"What d'you reckon it is?" One asked.