Sunghoon scoffed wryly. "Maybe it's because you're the one who blurted out 'Shadow Wielder' like a loud scolding idiot."

"Shadow Wielder is what we refer to her as," Jay retorted. "Are you saying we're supposed to hide her identity?"

"The land bears a mind of its own, remember?" Heeseung pointed out. "Didn't Master Wonchul say the land has ears? We all said a lot of things at that moment. We could have irked it with anything we said."

"Look at our kingdom's history." Jay's arms flew out. "The last being who dominated the Forbidden Mountains was a Shadow Wielder. These lands had gone mad ever since. There had to be a reason why it started to pull Suyin into the sand. They fear her."

"Quit it with that talk, Jay," Jungwon shot, laying his hand on Suyin's shoulder.

"Am I wrong? If someone who damaged me in the past decided to test me again, I wouldn't hesitate either."

Her face lived in the dullness. Her eyes rested in an apathetic stare, but her hands revealed her tense state. Her fingers pinched at her clothes, fidgeting with the cloth. As minutes passed by, the group went quiet again.

≿━━━━༺◎༻━━━━≾

Suyin promised to keep up, but she could barely keep her strength as the winds tested her. Her head throbbed and irked her focus–the headache was growing louder. She gradually fell behind once again. Her face hung low to shield the dusty winds. In the corner of her eye, she noticed someone had slowed down closer to her front. All of a sudden, the winds tripped the boy to the floor. He yelped as his front slammed into the black sand. Suyin elicited a gasp, and she bent down, offering her hand.

"Sunoo! Are you okay?" Several boys asked from ahead.

"I'm fine!" Sunoo hollered with a smile and raised his palm up. Suyin hauled the boy back to his feet, receiving a quiet thank you from him. The two traveled side by side for a while, marching against the desert gales.

"It isn't fair how the group never spares you a glance when you fall behind," Sunoo remarked.

Suyin lifted her head, distracting her eyes with the boy's flowery pink hair. "I'm used to it. I'm always the slowest anyway, but I'm trying to pick up the pace," Suyin said.

"No," Sunoo replied, swatting his hand. "Don't worry so much about being behind. You're already trying your best to keep up. Overworking yourself is the last thing we need, especially after what happened to you."

Suyin scrunched her lips to the side. "But it's what I get for being on the weaker side," she sighed. "I need to play my part more...otherwise, my role is wasted."

"Well, everyone has a weakness, right? I'm not the strongest. My stamina isn't remarkably as high as the others," Sunoo chuckled. "I don't take the heat very well either."

Suyin hummed in response. His cheery voice offered something blissful to the howling winds. He always sounded as if on the verge of laughter, lifting the mood.

"You know, you're pretty powerful in my eyes," Sunoo added, holding the girl's attention. "I mean, sure, you're a 'beginner,' but what you're doing for your level is astounding. Back when we battled that ugly creature in the village we visited, I was blown away when you fought back. Who knew how much you had in you."

A hint of pride sparked in Suyin's eyes. "You don't have to say that," she responded.

"No way! You're amazing," Sunoo burst, raising his fists. "No wonder why the sword chose you. You have so much potential."

Joy fluttered Suyin's way despite the furious winds. She revealed a timid downward smile to Sunoo. "Thank you...that means a lot to me, seriously. I never forget compliments," she responded. "People don't usually compliment me."

Sunoo chortled, shifting his gaze to the floor. "I will be honest." His face fell from his radiant state. "I was...scared of you at first. All of the tragic stories of Shadow Wielders, the rumors that spread like a raging wildfire once you were chosen...alarmed me. But the longer we lived in the Aureum Palace, you began to appear human like the rest of us. You struggle just like us. In a way, I relate to you too."

"How...so?" Suyin asked.

"Well, I won't understand how difficult it must be to be in your position. But as I said before, I'm not the strongest of the bunch. I have low stamina and struggle with working out too," Sunoo shared. "I was fortunate to have been chosen by the swords."

"Your powers are impressive, Sunoo. You even saved me from the sand," Suyin uplifted him. "You're gifted, trust me. Anyone else is better than a Shadow Wielder."

"No one is better than anyone else. In some areas, maybe, but we're all capable of many things."

Suyin huffed out a laugh. "Thank you, Sunoo."

"You don't have to. After all, teams are supposed to lift each other up, right?" Sunoo nudged her arm, and he leaned closer to her ear. "Also, I don't understand why Jay got angry after the weird creature flew off from the small village. You basically saved us in the middle of the fight."

Suyin couldn't help herself but laugh along with his lovable voice. The two shared smiles within their content-filled moment.

"You're close to Jungwon, aren't you?" Sunoo suddenly wondered, staring at the dark-haired boy leading their group.

"Uhh..." Suyin trailed off. She gandered at Jungwon's back, eyes trailing along the frame of his broad shoulders. She shrugged. "I don't think we're that close. We talk, but I wouldn't consider us close compared to you guys."

"Really? It looks like he talks to you more than us," Sunoo quipped.

Suyin shook her head. "No way," she denied.

"Huh, it could be because we're all busy training individually almost all of the time, and I mainly talk to Niki, so what do I know?"

Suyin's eyes cascaded to the sand. She fiddled with her fingers and nodded. "Um, yeah...I guess."

Suyin and Sunoo eventually sensed their team's movement come to a stop. Suyin's eyes sprung up, diving into the view of the waves of midnight before them. The water was drenched in thick black paint, so deep that it could be considered poisonous. Far ahead, the Forbidden Mountains' cold, burnt view haunted the group's courage, even the arrogant ones.

"Prepare the folded boat," Jungwon declared. "Our next destination will be the Forbidden Mountains."