chapter 2- A Secret To Keep

—11 months after the arrival.---

-Alita-

Opening my eyes I was blinded by light and lifted my hand to block out some of the sun while looking at the sky. I sat up as a cold breeze washed over me and I looked around at my surroundings.

There was Nothing but the forest of pine trees surrounding me. Besides the sounds of chirping birds and a light wind rustling the treetops it was quiet. I sighed and got up, looked to my backpack.

I suppose it's time I start heading back...

Grabbing my backpack and slinging it over my shoulder, I reached back to grab my hood and my fingers lightly grazed my short messy hair making me pause.

I ran my fingers through my hair to see how long it had grown out. 2? Maybe 3 inches? I bit my lip realizing I'll need to chop it off again soon... I hated the idea... I had always loved my long golden hair but ever since that day, I've had to keep it cut as short as possible, and all the time I spend outside has practically sun bleached it stark white.

Grabbing my hood I quickly covered my head and put on my facemask, doing my best to disguise myself.

(Flashback)

I stumbled and whimpered as my father kept his hold on my arm and urged me to keep running. I don't understand what's happening. Why are there explosions and gunshots going off?

"Dad?! What is happening?!"

He stopped as we found an alley in between two buildings and tried to catch our breath while hiding. Wait... What are we hiding from?!

Dad peaked out into the open and I moved closer to do the same. Seeing a military helicopter fly by and shoot a missile towards the area we had just ran away from.

I watched as the missile suddenly hit something invisible, before ricocheting, and hitting a nearby building causing an explosion. Whatever it had hit, shimmered in a strange way before disappearing once again. The helicopter started backing away only for a monstrous roar to fill the air as a giant black beast with wings collided with the aircraft, latching onto its side.

It started spinning, losing control as the winged creature tore it apart ripping off the tail end of the vehicle.

We watched horrified by the scene, before my father grabbed my wrist once again and pulled me into a small military office building. What was that thing?! Seeing the various desks my father rushed over to one and handed me his big jacket. "Alita put that on."

I was confused but still complied as he dug through the desk drawers looking for something. He pulled out a pair of scissors then came over to me. I watched him confused as he looked at me with so much fear and worry in his eyes. My fathers never been this afraid... not since my mother died.

"What are you doing?..." I looked between him and the scissors. He kneeled before me and took my hands in his.

"Honey I have to cut your hair... "

"What?!"

"Please, this is for your own safety... starting now, no one can know what you are." He stood up and turned me around by my shoulders. I flinched as he started chopping away at my blonde locks. What on earth is happening?

"I-i don't understand." I whimpered again watching strands of my hair fall to the floor. "Why are they attacking us..."

He was silent as he finished cutting it all off. I touched my head feeling what little was left of my hair. Once he was done he threw the scissors away and scoured the room for any stray clothing left behind by soldiers. He found a pair of black military boots and some baggy pants and handed them to me.