Chorus (Eleven)

I didn't succumb to the onslaught of my traumatic afternoon as I opened the door to my room and found Isaac and Constance in deep discussion on her bed across from mine

Instead, I merely instructed Hollin on where to place my bags that he'd so kindly helped bring up for me and ignored them like the second

"You can put them there, Hollin.  Thank you for helping me."

"You don't need to thank me, Miss Bennett."

I cracked an unfeeling smile as my voice came out in a monotone, the sound dead even to my own ears.

"How many times have I told you to call me Ivy?"

Isaac was turned around talking to Constance, probably to give me some privacy, but Hollin's eyes flicked over to the two of them as suspicion swam in his gaze.

"Right, like that'll happen.  You can call me anytime you want, Kade sent you my number.  Anything you need, I've got you."

"You don't have to do that—"

"I know."

"Oh, okay.  Well, thank you again."

"No need for thanks.  I'll probably be seeing you soon then, if this morning was anything to go by."

My cheeks somehow burned even through the hazy fog of grief and pain still swimming in my brain.

"Your guess is as good as mine."

The awkwardness from my last encounter with Kade notwithstanding, I had no idea what was going to happen with us, and in my current form, I didn't think I had enough energy to analyze anything but the backs of my eyelids, even as it was still light out.

"See you later, Miss Bennett."

Hollin left with a cheeky grin and then I was left alone with my two best friends.

Cringing as I remembered my last conversation with Constance, I blew out one of the largest sighs of my life and turned to face them.

"I'm going to get an apartment off campus.  I'll start looking tomorrow, but right now I'm exhausted, so I'm going to curl up into a ball on my bed with my headphones on.  Cool?  Cool."

I had barely made it two steps to my bed before Constance stood up and her face crumpled as she took in the sight of me barely holding it together.

"Ivy, what happened?"

"Nothing.  Nothing happened that I can't deal with myself.  You don't have to worry about me."

Her honey blonde hair danced in the sunlight and her cornflower blue eyes crinkled around the edges as a steely fire danced in her features.

"You sure about that?"

"Yeah, just family stuff.  It's no big deal.  Just ignore me."

My phone rang just as I laid down on top of my blankets and faced the wall away from Con and Isaac, who hadn't said a word to me yet since the whole ordeal came to light.