Verse Fifteen

"So, you ready to hear my terms?"

"Your terms?"

Ivy Bennett was no fool when it came to negotiating. Maybe it was because of my father always having to have some kind of angle when it came to even personal life, but maybe I'd inherited his penchant for playing hard ball.

For not taking anyone's shit.

...except Caleb's. But he was an entirely different story altogether, and I had a plan for him.

You know the saying. Karma is a real bitch.

"Yes. I will accept your apology for what you've done and said to me, including basically breaking my best friend, and we'll become work professionals. I won't bring up what you did, and you won't insult me or treat me as anything less than your equal when it comes to songwriting. Sound like a fair deal to you? Because honestly, this is all just very exhausting to me, and now I have more problems to deal with."

Kade's entire presence took up my entire small dorm room, even though there were two other people inside aside from him.

His dark hair fell in a soft waves atop his forehead and deep brown eyes pinned me to the spot even though he wasn't nearly as intimidating as I could be.

I hoped.

"Well?"

"That's really all you want? I was going to agree to a whole lot more money, honestly."

A feline smile tipped up the ends of my mouth.

"You do realize that's not usually how negotiations go, don't you superstar?"

I winked at him, tilting my head slightly.

Shit. Was I actually flirting with him after what he'd said to me earlier? I was not desperate, nor a crazy stalker fan, but with him standing so tall and real and god, his cologne

He narrowed dark eyes at me and the heat behind them was enough for me to glance down and realize I was in one of my more revealing pajama sets, even if it was only shorts and a tank top.

"What about our situation is normal?"

"True. Now, about my best friend—"

"I am right here, you know?"

I cringed internally but kept a mask slipped over my face. It was an involuntary action that I'd perfected over the years of being the good little statue for my father in his political appearances, but when it bled into my real life, I suddenly realized that maybe that was becoming my real life after all.

I shuddered at the thought and quickly banished it, wanting nothing more than for Kade to leave so that I could explain everything, but not everything, everything. I couldn't breathe a word to her about the Caleb situation.