The date

JJ looked up at Pope, his face red and tear stained.
'Oh shit I made him cry, I'm an awful person' Pope lectured himself in his head.
"Hey." JJ mumbled as he looked back down.

Pope sat down in-front of JJ as he fixed the boys hat, causing a slight smile to form on JJs face.
"JJ listen, I'm so sorry about how I reacted earlier. I was scared and I didn't know what to do, so I flipped out."

JJ felt his heart drop when Pope spoke.
'I was scared.' Was Pope scared of liking JJ?
JJ frowned as he looked at Pope.
"It's my fault for thinking you could ever like me more than a friend." JJ sniffled.

Pope was nervous for what he was about to tell his best friend, but he couldn't sit there and listen to JJ be so wrong.

"I do like you JJ."
"Hell I don't just like you, I'm in love with you."

JJ couldn't believe the words Pope had just said to him. Pope Heyward was in love with him.
He couldn't believe it.

"I'm in love with you too Pope." JJ admitted.
A smile now on his face as he stared into Popes beautiful brown eyes.
"How about I take you on a date!" Pope grinned as he stood up.
"Like a real date?" JJ smiled back at the boy.

"The most real date ever."

"I would love that."

The boys were both equally proud of each other for admitting the feelings they had for each other.

"We can't tell the others JJ." Pope said suddenly.
"It's okay if you're not ready, take your time man," JJ reassured.

"Thank you for understanding. However JB may or may not already know we kissed.." Pope remarked.
"POPE!" JJ gasped.
"John b is the biggest blabber mouth in the universe."

"He won't tell anyone JJ, trust me. Okay?"
"Okay."

"So how about that date?" Smiled Pope.
"Let's do it!" Exclaimed JJ, happier than he had felt in a long time.
Pope kissed his cheek before grabbing the boys hand and leading him back inside to get dressed for their date.

As the boys walked into the house hand in hand, John b gave Pope a wink along with a proud smile. Pope loved how supportive John b had always been towards his friends, no matter what.

"Where are you two lovebirds going?" John b smirked.

"I'm taking my boyfriend on a date down by the pier!" Pope explained with the biggest grin on his face. 'Omg omg omg! Boyfriend?' Thought JJ, 'I'm seriously Popes boyfriend?!' JJ wanted to jump up and down and hug Pope but he had to play it cool.

So instead he just asked Popes opinion on which shirt he should wear.

"Uhh I like the blue one." Pope decided.

"Dude they're literally both blue" John b chimed in, as always.
"Don't ruin our moment JB!"
"Yeah not cool bro." The boys lectured their friend.

Once Pope and JJ were all put together they were out. "Have fun cuties." Teased John b as he patted his friends on their shoulders, pushing them out the door.

The two walked down the side of the road in silence, both just happy that they were together.

JJ looked at Pope before moving closer to him, intertwining their hands. "Your hands are really sweaty" JJ told Pope, "Real smooth." Replied Pope in an aggravated tone. Pope loved JJ but he sure was a real idiot sometimes.

The boys soon saw the start of the pier and the golden light beamed on their faces, making JJs blue eyes look even more like the ocean.

"You have cool eyes." Pope complimented his boyfriend.

"Thanks." JJ stuttered trying not to act overly excited.

With their hands still intertwined Pope lead JJ to a private spot near the pier. JJ couldn't even believe that somebody like Pope could love him this much, 'what if he's just using me?' JJ questioned himself.

"Hey, you okay?" Pope questioned when he saw JJ slightly zoning out.
"I'm fine." JJ reassured.
"Good." Pope smiled at his boyfriend.

The two boys sat down, their feet dangling in the water as they watched the sun slowly start to set.
It was perfect, everything JJ had ever imagined was actually happening, he just couldn't find the words to describe how much he loved Pope.

The sky was now a beautiful mix of pink and orange. Popes eyes lit up as he watched the two colors fade together and the sun slowly go down.
JJ wanted to show Pope how much he loved him in this moment, however the blonde boy was scared after what had happened during their last kiss.

'Kiss him' the voice in JJs head persuaded him.

Hesitantly JJ put his hand on the side of Popes face so Pope would look at him.
Without saying a word JJ softly kissed Pope while Pope played with JJs hair, running his finger slowly through it.

Finally JJ softly pulled away, making sure to keep his hand on Popes cheek.
Pope smiled before leaning into JJs shoulder, resting his head on the blonde boy.

"You're the cutest." Whispered JJ.

"You're pretty cute yourself Maybank." Pope smiled, looking up at JJ.

JJ felt something he hadn't felt in awhile, he felt safe with Pope. Like he could stay there with him forever.

'I love him so much.' JJ thought to himself.

Little did he know, Pope was thinking the same thing about him.

They felt safe, for once everything felt okay.
And they were fine with that, as long as they had each other.

Everything would be okay.

A/N ~ super long chapter! definitely my favorite so far :))

hope you guys liked all the sweet moments between JJ and Pope, I love them sm <3

We love John b shipping them sm!
Love uuu

🫶🏼🫶🏼🫶🏼