Hoax

Chapter 3-Don't Listen to Him!

March Day 2, 5:43 P.M.

"So, we have one intern who gets most of the activity thrown at her, the activity itself is starting to look like a hoax, and while you sense a spirit here, you don't think it's malicious. Did I cover everything?" Mai asked with crossed arms as she followed Masako and John out into the lobby of the office building.

"You've managed to forget that you're the one who convinced Naru to take on a case involving a hoax," Masako remarked bitterly. Mai fought the urge to roll her eyes.

And failed miserably.

"I did not convince him to take on this case," she said, she gripped her arms to control her aggravation. And to keep her mind off of her exhaustion. "I asked him why he wasn't going to take this case and he was a jerk about it." She shrugged. "Anyway, we have a spirit here that will need to be cleansed and a prankster who needs to be taught a lesson. Why don't we try to figure out who might be the one behind hoax?"

"Mai has a point," John agreed with a smile. He turned to the medium. "If the spirit really is as benign as you think it is, then cleansing it is something that can wait. And if we catch the hoaxer first and then cleanse the spirit it will at least not embarrass the company too much."

"Fine," Masako agreed, putting her sleeve to her lips. "Who would want to scare the interns? And why would anyone employed here want to scare them so badly that they consider leaving? They pretty much just do the same petty work that you do, Mai."

"Thank you for that, Masako," Mai said with a shake of her head. "You're just jealous that Naru likes my tea better."

"Why should I be jealous of that? At least my job is more important than menial women's work," she jabbed.

"Or it means I'm more of a woman than you." Mai smirked as she watched the medium's reaction.

"Guys-"

But Masako just laughed so humorlessly, Mai couldn't help but shiver. "Oh yes," she said with an evil glint in her eye. "You are more of a woman, than me. More of a slave woman."

"What the hell does that even mean?" Mai felt the vein in her forehead pulse.

"It means that all you'll ever be worth is-"

"Mai?" Mai blinked hard at the scene before her. John had called her name and Masako must have headed for Base or something, because she was no longer there. They were also no longer in the lobby. They were on the second floor. "Are you okay? You zoned out."

Mai shook her head and blinked again. "Y-yeah." She rubbed her head. It was starting to ache. "Where's Masako?"

"She went to talk with some of the interns, since most of them are women close to your age," he explained, giving her a concerned look. "Are you sure you're okay? You look exhausted."

You don't even know the half of it, she thought as she mentally rolled her eyes. But that's exactly what she needed. "Actually..." She took a breath, trying to collect her thoughts. She had to tell him, but at the same time, she didn't want to do it here. Not where anyone could hear their conversation. "Would you be able to give me a ride home tonight? I want to talk to you about something, but I don't want it to interfere with the case." Good cover, Mai.

John gave her an odd look. "Sure, is everything okay?"

"Everything is just fine," she lied without missing a beat. She hated that lie. "I just have a couple questions for a project I'm doing and thought you might be able to help."

At that the priest smiled, if he was suspicious, he never showed it. "Of course I'll help you!"

But what was that just now? She wondered as she followed the priest towards Base. Just a second ago, Masako and I were arguing about...well...me. Was that a vision? Or a hallucination?