Chapter Two

Once Kakashi got back to his office, he carefully set the bag that held the phone down.

The phone itself was in a military-grade proof case that was thick and covered in pink glitter, beads, and a giant cherry blossom petal sticker on the back. It was sickeningly cute and oh so fitting for someone described like Sakura.

“So you got it? No problems,” asked his partner, an older and tired looking person named Inoichi Yamanaka. His long blond hair had plenty of grey showing through - an attribute likely gained from their line of work.

“Very minimal,” Kakashi hums as he watches Inoichi pick up the bag.

“I’m going to take this to see if we can get some DNA sample from it-”

“You won’t get much from it. It was found far under her bed and her mother had been clutching it since she found it,” Kakashi hummed out and sat down in his chair. The plump cushion allowed him to sink into it. He allowed himself to momentarily close his eyes in thought. “I think the more useful information is going to be found inside of the phone, at this point.”

“Even so, we have to outrule everything,” Inoichi said as he left the room. Kakashi watches him go with disinterest. He knew it was unlikely and even if someone else other than her mother could be detected on it, it was going to be Sakura herself. It was doubtful that someone else had been in possession of her phone and in her room. It just didn’t add up.

Turning on his computer, he busies himself by doing research. He found her facebook profile, the same one that the other detectives exhausted when trying to find motives for her disappearance, and he scrolled through her timeline.

Lately, it was just filled with other people’s memories of her or kind words to her family. Pleas for her to come home, to be okay.

There was a particular picture that constantly got reposted more than the others though.

This particular picture was posted by Ino Yamanaka, his partners daughter. It was a picture of Sakura and what looked to be about 11 other teens all crowded around one another to fit into the picture frame. Konohagakure woods could clearly be seen from behind them and the corner of a large house. The post itself read, “I can’t believe this was the last time we got to see and hear you. We miss you more and more everyday. There are so many things I would give to be able to drool over boys and complain about school with you again!”

Kakashi clicked on the comment section.

Comment after comment went by, most saying around the same things. She was sorely missed, that was for certain. He would need to revisit some of the people that were talked to when the case was fresh. There were lots of things to be done and so little time to do it. The longer she was gone, the harder it was going to be to find her.

His mind wandered over towards her phone.

Her mother said she recorded a lot and that it was her weekly, if not daily, ritual. If there was something going on in her life before her disappearance, no doubt there was a possibility that there was a recording on there about it. He would just have to wait for the phone to come back from testing. Hopefully, his hunch was right.