I answer Margo's text, ensuring her that everything will be fine. We won't really need to talk with them that long anyway. They just want pictures and introductions. I wonder if my father will even be home.

Margo only responds with the eye roll emoji. I smirk at my phone.

"Is it your date that's got you all smiley?" My mother asks, handing me the bag with the flower in it.

"Yes, actually," I confirm.

"Margo, right?"

I nod. We walk to my mother's BMW that is illegally parked outside of the flower shop. Mom has lived in the city her entire life, and if there's one thing she's picked up, it's how to operate a car on city roads.

"So you're going to get her from the subway and come home for pictures, then?" She asks as she starts the car and drives off, cutting off a truck who beeps loudly at her.

I swear she gets a thrill out of pissing drivers off.

"Yeah. I think her mom is dropping her off," I say. I don't know about that. I know Margo doesn't want her mom to be apart of anything. From what I've heard, she's not the most attentive parent. Not only that, but Margo says she had undiagnosed Bipolar disorder and I know my parents wouldn't know how to handle that. They can barely handle me.

"Oh, perfect! I can meet her mother then," Mom responds cheerfully and it makes me die a little inside.

"Yeah ..." I look out the window to hide my anxiety. That's a situation I'd like to avoid.

My mom turns into our driveway after a few minutes of usual city traffic. Before I can make a run for my room she stops me.

"Wait! I forgot to tell you. A young man came looking for you yesterday while you were at the library,"

Huh? "A young man?" I repeat. I don't have any friends that my mom doesn't know enough to call them by their name.

"Yes. He was a bit tall, shaggy hair, maybe dirty blonde? I couldn't see under his hood. He never gave me a name, though he smelt a bit funny,"

"He smelled weird?" Something inside me is telling me this isn't good. I don't know anyone of that description, but I'm sure Margo does, and that's what worries me.

My mother makes a face of disgust as she recalls the smell. "Like chlorine and skunk if that make sense,"

Skunk. Now I know I was right. That wasn't chlorine and skunk, it was drugs.

"Oh, uh, I don't know. I'll ask around at school. I'm tired, Mom."

"Okay. I'll call you down for dinner later."

I smile at her and head upstairs, immediately texting Margo the description my mother said and she confirms what am already knew.

X was at my house. Asking for me. To my mother. Great.

~
I feel like I'm going to vomit as I wait for the subway to arrive.

It's the night of the dance and Margo was able to convince her mom not to drive her to my house. We both decided we didn't need the stress of our parents meeting. It seems they're complete opposites.