Know You Better (Fluff)

Start from the beginning

"C'mon sweetheart." He whispered. "The night's still young-"

"She said no." A familiar voice spoke up from behind him.

Feeling a sense of relief wash over you, you took advantage of the man's distraction and shoved him away from you, Bucky grabbing him by the collar of his shirt as he stumbled into him. Shoving him against the wall you watched as Bucky's face came inches away from the man's.

"Listen man." The guy said throwing his hands up in the air. "I don't want any trouble."

"Yeah?" Bucky asked. "Didn't look like that to me."

"C'mon pal," The guy chuckled nervously. "Just let me go and we can forget this ever happened."

"Y/n?" You heard your brother's best friend ask.

"Yeah?" You answered, standing up straighter.

"What do you think I should do with this guy?"

Wrapping your arms around yourself and checking the time on your wrist watch, you shrugged.

"I don't know, Buck." You sighed. "It's getting late. Steve's gonna wonder where the hell I am. I told him I was just goin' to dinner."

Heeding your words, Bucky pulled the man's face closer to his.

"You got lucky this time."

Once Bucky saw fear in the man's eyes, he felt satisfied, throwing the man to the floor and watching as he scrambled to his feet and ran out of the hallway. Turning back to you, Bucky pulled the pack of cigarettes out of his pocket, slipping one out.

"I could have handled that myself, ya know." You said, still leaning against the wall.

Shaking his head, he scoffed slipping the cig into his mouth.

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should." He said looking up at you, pulling a lighter from his other pocket. "You and your brother, Y/n... ya know... sometimes it would be nice to hear a 'thank you'."

You understood what he meant- Bucky was looking out for you just as he always had and as much as your pride hated to admit it- you were glad he had come to your rescue when he did.

Watching him bring the lighter to the cigarette that hung from his mouth, you shook your head.

"C'mon, Buck." You groaned, snatching the lighter from his hand. "Those things will kill you."

"There's a war going on, doll." He said plucking the lighter from your grasp. "I think a cig's the least of my worries."

Hearing the pet name slip from his mouth, you began to feel the heat rise to your face.

In all the time you had known James "Bucky" Barnes, you had heard him call dozens of girls that name, but never you. He had always called you by your name or teasing nicknames like "punk" or "kid"- never "doll". That name was saved exclusively for girls you took on dates and kissed on the walk back to their apartments - not you.

But as he used the name on you for the first time, whether it was an accident or not, you felt butterflies floating in your stomach.

A part of you hated that you didn't hate it and the other wished he would call you that again and again.

"James please." You urged. "You know I hate the smell of those things."

James.

As much as he loved his nickname, the sound of his first name falling from your lips was sweet as honey and so intimate he swore he would do whatever you asked when you said it.