Chapter 40

Reine Parker

"What? Come again?" I tried to contain the anger within me. What the hell did Roman just say?

"I mean, fuck, I agreed to form an alliance with the Romano." He lowered his head, afraid that I will direct all my anger on him. But he was right, I was ready to lash out at him. 

"But Ray, listen. They received a threat yesterday which threatened to kill both you and your sister, I can't just risk your life again." He took one step back, for fear that I might punch him out of anger. 

I sighed out loud, and took a seat on the couch. Seeing that I was not making any attempts to strangle him, Roman finally took a seat, but away from me as he took furtive looks at me occasionally. 

"So what's going to happen after you guys formed the alliance?" I asked, out of curiosity. 

"Nothing, it's just a name to inform the rest of the families not to fuck with us even if they are planning to. But the most important part of the alliance is just to catch the mastermind behind the threat." Roman quickly explained. 

Seeing how I did not have any response, he continued, "Ray, I'm sorry. I know how much you dislike them but yet I was working with them. But I just can't ignore that the threat was directed at you and I don't want to face the same thing again, with you being in danger." He went softer at the last part and rubbed the palm of his hand on his face exasperatedly. 

"I know, it's for me. You dislike them too, there's no way you would enjoy working with them either. I was just shocked by the news, I'm sorry too, I didn't mean to lash out at you." I apologised, because Roman was innocent in this. He was the one who got caught in between my past family matters. 

Right before Roman could say anything, the sound of gunshots were heard through the mansion. Damian came running through the kitchen and both of them immediately whipped out their guns from the back of their waistbands. Some of the bodyguards came running into the mansion, with blood all over their clothes. 

"Don, there were intruders who killed some of our men outside. Please head up till we managed to get rid of them." One of our men panted, while he informed us of the situation in the house. Although it may have been a common occurrence whenever you are alive in a mafia related family, one cannot help but to feel some anxiety after hearing multiple gunshots go off again. 

Roman immediately took my hand and pulled me towards the stairs, while Damian headed to other parts of the house with the remaining men. Before we could head up the stairs, at least 6 men barged into the house and tried to shoot us. Roman managed to take down 4 of them and I looked around on the ground. 

I muttered prayers of thanks when I managed to find guns lying on the ground which belonged to those dead men. Picking up two of them, I passed one of them to Roman who seemed to be running out of bullets. 

Loading the chamber, I pulled the trigger on one of them who was hiding behind a pillar. Wincing at the loud sound that the gun had just made, I felt my ears started ringing. No, not now, Reine. 

"Ray!" Roman's voice yelled out and before I could react, I was tackled onto the ground by Roman. A piercing sharp pain was felt on my arm as Roman pushed me down onto the ground. Lifting up my head, I realised that Roman was shot in the shoulder. My eyes widened at the sight of his wound. 

Helping him up, I dragged him and took cover behind the stairs. He scrunched up his face slightly at the pain. He tried to stand up, but I stopped him and said sternly, "Stop moving unless you don't want your arm anymore." Tears were building up in my eyes as I saw him hurt. He was hurt because of me. 

Ripping a part of my white t-shirt, I applied pressure onto the wound as I bandaged it such that the bleeding can be stopped before we can get help. The number of intruders were increasing as I can feel that they were soon approaching us. Picking up the guns on the ground, I was ready to face them off until Roman weakly grabbed onto my arm. 

"Don't. Just stay here and wait till the rest arrives." He panted, as the pain was getting intolerable. 

"And what? You already got injured because of me, and now you're going to get killed as well?" I snapped, feeling angry at myself because Roman would have been fine if I had been more attentive. 

"Then we will head out together, I won't let you head out alone." He snatched the gun from my hand, and pushed himself off from the ground with much effort. He instinctively moved in front of me, as he shot down two of them and the rest came forward like a bunch of hungry pack. 

Taking the spot beside him, I took aim and pulled the trigger on whoever was trying to shoot us. 

Alexander Romano

"Sir, the Parker's got attacked last night." One of our men came forward to pass on the news while we were having breakfast at the table. I dropped the cutlery which I held in my hands as I turned to the man. 

"What do you mean? Was Avery fine? Where the fuck is she?" Panic rose in me the moment I heard the piece of news. The rest of my siblings had also stopped whatever they were doing and appeared distraught. 

"I don't know, sir. Nothing was heard from them." He reported, and I hurriedly picked up my phone to dial for Roman Parker. I needed to know that Avery was unharmed. The call went straight to the voicemail, so I called a few more times. 

None were answered. Anxiety gripped tightly at my heart as I feared for the worst. 

"Is anyone picking up?" Eli asked, with worry laced in his tone. 

"Inform Uncle Ezra and the rest, we're heading to England now." I ordered, immediately heading back to my room.

Avery, please be okay.

updated! a new semester will be starting soon and I hope I'm prepared for it NWJNWJNSJW

all the best to those of you who are currently also having school/work! 

Happy reading! -12/10/2022