Chapter 6: New Trainer

Start from the beginning

"What's with you?!" she snapped. "You don't have to be so rude, you know? Besides—" she looked at Eevee "—you're a trainer now. You can't talk like that."

I wanted to come up with another remark, but I looked at Eevee, who was giving me an expectant look, and felt guilty. I turned to Trinity. "Yeah, you're right... sorry."

Her eyes softened by a small degree, "So even the Poke-Hater Vali isn't as insufferable as they say he is."

"You obviously got Gabriel's take," I insisted, "because he's the insufferable one."

She actually chuckled, "Can't argue with that."

Professor Oak cleared his throat. We realized he was watching our tennis match of an argument. "Very well, Trinity, dear, are you ready?"

She nodded with fire in her eyes, "I am." She stepped forward, getting in front of the pokeball-holding machine.

Professor Oak pressed a button, and the two pedestals in the middle rose, revealing two pokeballs. He grabbed one and threw it into the air.

Pikachu came out of the pokeball, "Pika!" it said.

Eevee jumped off my shoulder in excitement, "Eevee!" she said and tackled Pikachu with a hug.

"Pika, Pika!" Pikachu cried with jubilation, hugging Eevee back.

Okay, I had to admit, that was pretty cute.

"Eevee here has seen a lot of Pikachus come and go, but she has never been closer to one than she is with this one," Professor Oak explained.

"Why is that?" Trinity and I asked at once.

Professor Oak chuckled, "I'm not sure. This Eevee is very special. But it seems she saw something in this Pikachu—something that other Pikachus didn't have. Eevees are very sensitive to the things and people around them, you see."

I nodded, "That's true."

"Pikachu, come meet your new trainer," Professor Oak called.

"Pika?" it said in a confused manner and looked between Trinity and I, before his eyes settled on the former. It walked to her slowly, sniffing.

Professor Oak gave her a reassuring look, "Let's see if it works this time."

She nodded and got on her knees, looking at Pikachu, who was also looking at her. "Here goes nothing," she took a deep breath.

I still didn't understand what the problem was. They keep saying something about "it working this time," but I didn't know what they meant.

Trinity slowly held her hand out to Pikachu, who looked at her with confusion. She began to move it toward him, like she was about to pet him.

"Pika, Pi?"

Then, she put her palm on Pikachu's head, who didn't move, but Trinity had a look like she won the lottery. "H-he didn't... he didn't run..." she said with obvious relief.

"What do you mean he didn't run? Are you some pokemon serial killer or something?" I muttered, but she ignored me.

She smiled, giving the brightest smile I'd ever seen. "Will you... be my pokemon?" she asked Pikachu.