CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

"Did you really love her?"

"Huh? Bugs?"

You were standing in a pit of bugs together with Hanako-kun, who was trying to fight them off with his knife, while you were having an internal monologue about your life and why you chose to keep on living.

You had found Aoi, but she had later tricked you and left you and Hanako in a "garbage pit" as she called it. You didn't mind the bugs, they weren't that scary, but they were disgusting to look at nonetheless.
Hanako grabbed your arm and hugged you tightly, before the scenery changed.

The two of you were sitting on the ground in a forest, the moon shining brightly above the two of you.
You groaned, "I hate my life…"

Hanako looked at you and stood up, bringing you with him.

"Y'know, death seems like a good choice right now, I don't mind dying anyway." You began to look around, not seeing Hanako's reaction to your words. He was quiet, not uttering a word. You were about to say something when you turned to look at him, but stopped when two arms wrapped around you, taking you into a warm embrace. You tilted your head to the side, not understanding why the ghost was being so touchy right now.

You slowly brought your hands up and patted his back awkwardly, "Um… you good?"

He didn't answer.

"If it's about the dying thing, then I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, I was being sarcastic," You said and thought, 'Yeah, sarcastic my ass.'

"By the way…" you started and Hanako let go of you, "...do you know where we are?"

"No…"

"Wait," You began to search through your pockets before pulling out a tennis bat. Hanako looked at you in astonishment, how did you manage to pull out a whole tennis bat out of your pocket?!

Smiling, you began to hug the tennis bat, swinging from side to side as animated hearts radiated off of you.
"Oh, Martha, my bestie! Let's go and kick some supernatural ass!"

Then you heard some rustling from a bush not far away from you and Hanako. Looking at the opening of the forest, you saw an old man with big ears, wrinkled forehead and a squared face standing there, holding a lit lantern with a stick.

"Who is this person?" Hanako asked while floating behind you.

"A local?" You asked, "He doesn't look like a supernatural…"

Then you took a step forward, pointing your tennis bat at the old man, "Who are you?"

The old man shivered as he looked at you, a dark aura spreading around your figure as  you held the tennis bat in a threatening way, like you would bash his head in if he didn't give you the answer you wanted.