198

I was right. This wasn't the right fucking time to allow my mind to wander, and burst with questions. Sapphire was grieving right now, and I had to be here for her. She was clearly fucking devastated about this whole thing.

I was probably overthinking it. Maybe it was an error on her file, or maybe she'd only learnt the news of her mother being dead now.

Either way, I shouldn't be thinking about it. My beautiful girl was hurt and heartbroken right now, and I had to do all I could within my power to make her feel better.

I continued to hold her against me, with my big strong arms. Giving her the support and comfort that she needed. Letting her know that it was okay. It was okay to cry, and it was okay to be upset. It was okay not to keep everything bottled up. It was okay not to pretend to be strong, when deep down you were hurting.

"Don't worry baby," I murmured softly against her hair. "With time, it will get better. I'm here for you."

I let out a deep breath, my heart hammering against my chest.

"And I'll always be here for you. We'll get through this," I promised her. "Together."

Sapphire hugged me tighter, not withdrawing from my grasp. She kissed my chest softly, her wet tears soaking my skin.

"Thank you, Donte," she mumbled. "That means a lot. I don't know what I'd do without you..."

When she said this, I couldn't help but to feel shivers shoot through my body. I wasn't wrong to believe that she felt the same way about me. She'd been suffering without me, just as much as I'd been suffering without her. And now, we were finally going to stop playing games with each other. We were going to keep it real, because I didn't want her to be miserable.

Hell, she made my fucking life complete.

"It's cold, baby," I said softly. "Let's go back to my place. I'll make you a nice meal, and we'll talk about it."

"I'd like that," Sapphire replied, sniffing.