2

part one

prologue

donte

My pops had been telling me to settle down for years. He told me to find a woman who would stand by me no matter how tough things got, and would have my back through thick and thin.

And the truth was, I was tired of empty sex. I was tired of one-night stands, and I was tired of screwing women just to toss them away and never speak to them again.

I'd built myself an empire from nothing. I'd put blood, sweat and tears to get to where I was today, to be the owner of several huge businesses, including my multi-million dollar software company Indigo Limited.

And now...

I just wanted a woman to share that with.

So when Sapphire Myers walked into my office telling me that she was the new Python developer, I couldn't help but to fall head over heels for her beauty. She was so fucking sexy and she didn't even realize it, but I could see the pain in her eyes. She looked tired, exhausted, broken...

She looked like a mystery.

A mystery that I wanted to solve.

But I was battling with my own demons. I had some dirty secrets of my own, and a past that I wasn't proud of.

I was part of a Mafia family. A family of organized crime.

But God help me, even though I had my own skeletons in the closet...

If I'd have known that Sapphire was going to betray me in the worst fucking possible way, I would have torched that bitch and left her to die the first time I ever laid eyes on her. I would have disposed of her without a second fucking thought, and then moved on with my life without looking back.

It takes more than a pretty girl to bring me to my knees. The more I push, the more she pushes back. Sapphire is a challenge that I'm not used to, but she needs to learn a thing or two about loyalty.

Because in my world, snakes and rats are buried six feet under. To teach them a lesson not to fuck with me. Because in the Mafia, we're bound by blood...

And I won't hesitate to do the same thing to her for getting on the wrong side of me. I won't hesitate to give her the same treatment that countless people before her got. Somebody should have warned her that if you play with fire you'll get burned.

Because at the end of the day...

I didn't choose this life.

This.

Life.

Chose.

Me.