153

53

maya

THE NEXT DAY

I rolled out of bed, yawning loudly. I felt like fucking shit today.

I hadn't slept a wink all night. I couldn't stop picturing Sharon and Donte together in my head.

Her grubby hands all over MY MAN.

I shook my fists angrily, seething at the thought of him and Sharon sleeping together. Getting intimate together, when it should have been me in her fucking place. Him kissing her and pleasuring her in places where he should have been pleasuring me.

And only me.

"I need fucking cheering up," I muttered to myself angrily. "I'm going over to Maisie and Millie's."

I rolled my eyes agitatedly, before dusting myself off, and throwing on some tracksuit pants and a hoodie, not caring about how shit I looked. I just wanted to wallow in self-pity forever.

I made my way to the door of Maisie and Millie's apartment, and rang the doorbell. I listened in on their conversation as I waited for them to answer the door.

"How was Vegas then, babe?" Maisie asked Millie.

"It was good," Millie replied excitedly. "It was good to see my family."

There was a small silence, before Millie spoke again.

"The doorbell's ringing," she said.

"It's probably Sapphire," Maisie replied. "I'll get it."

I continued to wait patiently, my head pounding, and then Maisie opened the door.

"Hey girl," she grinned.

"Hey," Millie added.

By now, I couldn't even stop the tears from falling. I broke down into sobs in front of them both, because I felt like such utter and complete shit. Maisie and Millie stared back at me with mortified and startled expressions on their faces.

"What's wrong?" Millie denied, alarmed.

"I've fucked everything up," I sobbed. "I had a good thing going and fucked it up..."

"Hey babe, it's okay," Maisie mumbled. "Come here."

She hugged me to her, leading me further into the apartment so that I could sit down and explain to them what was going on.

"Come on, let's talk about it."

I drew out a deep breath, my heart twisting into knots as I thought about Donte. I told Maisie and Millie about how I cut things off with Donte, how I tried to cheer myself up by going on a date with Milo, and then how I found out that Donte was getting married.

"It's like, we had a really intimate connection," I mumbled exhaustedly, feeling weak and pathetic. "And now he's moving on with another woman."

"In some ways, I can't really blame him, Sapphire," Maisie breathed, shaking her head. "I mean, you did cut things off with him. He wasn't going to wait around for you forever."

"I know," I mumbled in response.