Chapter 17 - Consequences

Rynden was wrong. No amount of scolding from General Palfer back in the day could compare with being placed in front of the Head of Sorcery. Because, not matter how naughty they'd been, Thias still saw them as the children he loved, Scarfengr did not.

When Brett, the senior who'd frozen Vehya's limbs, had called her name, the reality was starting to sink in and expulsion seemed like a daunting, yet inevitable, consequence. She'd watched student after student leaving the office pale and shaken after giving their recounts of the event. Only Julius had smirked at her when passing, but she'd seen how he had to compose himself before hand.

Khed, Ryn.... The two had been in Scafengr's office for almost forty minutes, twice as long as Julius, and the gnawing in Vehya's gut was awful. If debating your professor was uncommon in Asla, fighting between casters on campus was unheard of. For the most part, the Crimson Order functioned on camaraderie and discipline. They may fight other enemy casters on occasion outside of the city, but they never fought between themselves.

Brett moved to open the great wooden door to a dark room, and saw how nervous she was. "Keep your head up." He told her. "Speak clearly. He can't stand waffling." He gave her a small smile and she returned it gratefully before the door was opened and she stepped inside to meet her doom.

Neither Khed nor Rynden turned at her entrance. They stood like twin toy soldiers, backs straight and chins up. Vehya tried to get her own body to do the same as the door shut behind her with a crisp click.

The office was barren of everything save a desk and matching chair. There were no books or clutter, no rugs or lamps, but it still felt too small; like a cage. I'm trapped in the lion's den.

He was sitting at the table, a black letter in his hand which he read slowly at an almost leisurely pace; flipping back and forth between pages. Vehya came to stand next to Rynden. Nicholas Scarfengr made them wait in silence for another full six minutes.

"Did you sign the student agreement?" The rasp took her by surprise and Vehya glanced at her companions, only they didn't move to answer the question at all. When she looked back at Professor Scarfengr he was staring straight at her with a single murky brown eye. Vehya knew of his time in the army of course, she knew of the injuries he'd sustained in service but even still, she was shocked to see the extent of scarring on his face.

"Yes sir." Her voice came out calm and collected. Inside she was a mess. It was written into the student code of conduct that 'a mage never uses their casting on another person with harmful intent or where the exact intention of the action is unknown.' Thereby ruling out idiocy by ignorance. Vehya had almost broken that rule in her first Channelling Arcane class, and though she had no intent to harm Julius with her sparkles, she knew any unauthorised use of magic was dangerous. Especially for her.

Scarfengr looked back down at the notes as he placed them on the empty table and Vehya saw with a pang Crocker's seal at the bottom.

"Mr. Harpet." None of the three students moved. "Return to your dormitory room and immediately begin solitary confinement for the duration of your rest days. Rations will be provided to you." Vehya was shocked. Confinement? "Upon leaving Monday, you will return here before first light and give me an answer." Scarfengr lifted his gaze to Khed. Vehya saw no trace of emotion in his single eye.

"Sir." Khed saluted and left Vehya and Rynden alone with the Lion.

This is it. Her name was going on the registry for sure now. I'm sorry Gigi.

"I have grounds to expel both of you." Vehya flinched. Rynden merely stood like a statute gazing intensely at the wall, face blank. "And I would do so, only it seems from what I can gather, to kick either of you out would be more dangerous than keeping you where I can see you."