Chapter 54

When Rayne awoke, the room was empty. She sat up for a moment, trying to process the morning's events. Was she really a Goddess now, really immortal? She held her hand out and gasped when she saw a silver glow form around her hand. She heard a knock as Maab opened the door. "It's time to get ready, my Lady," the old Queen bowed to her slightly.

Rayne giggled, "Don't ever do that again, please. I'm still me, aren't I?"

Maab smiled and answered her, "Yes you are, but it is a sign of respect to bow to a Goddess, at least once." she laughed. "Now, let's get you ready. The guests are being seated, and Liam is driving me nuts!" She threw her hands up in exasperation.

Maab helped Rayne get into her gown. It was deep emerald green with silver and gold accents, just as she had wanted. She wore a wreath of flowers that were braided into her hair. Dvalin was waiting in the hall to escort her to the gardens. "You look beautiful, lillesøster," he gasped when he saw her.

Her eyes brimmed with tears, "Thank you for walking me down. I don't think I could have done this alone, bror."

As they approached the entrance of the garden, Dvalin stopped. "You are never alone, but my part as your escort ends here," he motioned to the figure waiting at the gate. Rayne gasped when she saw her father in corporeal form standing there with his arm held out to her. She gave Dvalin a quick hug and then took her father's arm.

They began to walk along the garden path towards the altar where her mother stood. She saw her mother nod her head to Liam and he turned as the music began to play softly. He looked so handsome in his suit, a wide grin across his face and tears in his eyes. Ástvinur, you are breathtaking, he projected to her. She could feel her cheeks flush crimson. Her father stopped before the altar and held her hand out for Liam to take. Her father kissed her on the cheek, then he quietly whispered to Liam, "Take good care of my daughter." Liam assured him he would, and they both turned to face her mother.

Nimuë held up a golden cord for all to see and began to speak, "The ties you bind here today are a symbol of your connection, love, and commitment. Rayne and Liam, do you willingly seek to enter this ceremony?"

"We do," they answered in unison.

"This cord is a symbol of the connection between your two lives. As this cord binds your hands, so too does it bind your lives in marriage." She wrapped the cords around their wrists as they held their hands with fingers intertwined. "Today you hold the hands of your best friend, your partner, your spouse. These are the hands that will work alongside yours to build a life, to comfort each other, to share your joys and griefs. These are the hands that will build a home and tenderly hold your children. These are the hands that even when wrinkled with age, will still reach out to each other with tenderness and love." Rayne felt Liam squeeze her hand tightly.

Her mother continued, "Just as your hands are bound now, your lives are now bound, but because you cannot always be physically bound, you will exchange rings as a symbol of your bond. It will be worn on your hand as a constant reminder and outward symbol to all of your oath and connection."

She turned to Rayne and handed her a ring for Liam. As Rayne slipped the silver band on his finger she made her vow, "Liam, when you came into my life, I knew I had found my purpose. You have helped me believe in myself. I vow to always honor and cherish you, to always stand beside and to protect you with all that I am. I love you."

Nimuë turned to Liam and handed him a ring. "Rayne, I loved you before I even knew you. The Fates have given me a blessing beyond words by bringing you into my life. You accept me for all of me. I promise to honor and cherish you, to always protect and provide for you. I love you." He slipped the silver band on her finger.

"As the vows have been made before all those present, let this bond be consecrated for eternity." Her mother's voice rang out over the garden as the golden cord swirled with magic and wrapped around their wrists tattooing them with the symbol Liam had carved into the fireplace mantel, then the cord vanished. "I now pronounce you husband and wife! Liam, you may kiss your bride," she smiled at them as the guests began to clap and cheer. Liam wrapped his arms around Rayne as her hands went around his neck, and he kissed her deeply, even dipping her back a bit for effect. He held her a moment longer, whispering in her ear, "You're mine forever, ástvinur."

They walked back down the path to the waiting feast where they greeted their friends and guests. The celebration feast lasted the remainder of the daylight hours. "I have something for you, husband," Rayne said, handing Liam his present. She wasn't sure if the glimmer in his eyes was for the gift of hearing her call him 'husband' for the first time. Liam grinned when he saw the daggers. "Throw one," she urged him.

He threw the dagger towards the nearest tree, then gasped when it reappeared in the sheath. "How did you do that?" He hugged her tightly, "Thank you, my lovely wife," he winked as he said the word.

Rayne giggled and blushed. "Dvalin helped me make them when we were in Nidavellir. I'm glad you like them."

Hel looked over and saw the daggers and giggled, "Did you remember the spell, or decide to live dangerously, Rayne?" Rayne's cheeks flushed bright crimson, as the ladies all laughed. The men looked completely confused.

"Something I should know, ástvinur?" Liam asked, holding the dagger. Or something we should try - he asked silently with a wicked grin.

Rayne choked on her wine and giggled nervously, "Nope, what happens at a bachelorette party, stays at a bachelorette party. Right girls?" They howled with laughter and Angrboða raised her glass with a Here, Here!

"Liam, you might just be in trouble. Looks like they've all become friends. None of our secrets are safe now," Odin laughed loudly, and the others agreed. Liam just shook his head.

He leaned over and kissed Rayne, "I love you." She smiled mischievously and kissed him back.

"I love you, too."

As the sun began to set, Lily and her grandmother came to get Rayne, while Odin and Dvalin took Liam to prepare for the Bealtaine rituals.

***