Chapter 19

When Liam finally awoke, he was in Rayne's chambers. She was sitting next to the bed asleep in a chair. "Hey beautiful," he managed to whisper. Rayne's eyes fluttered open and instantly filled with tears. She hugged him tightly, kissing him again and again. "Ouch, ouch, oh....my aching head." Liam moaned.

Rayne pulled away, still crying, "I'm so sorry, I almost killed you! I was so scared you were never going to wake up, oh, Liam, I'm sorry, why did you do that?" Her eyes were filled with fear and regret.

He raised his hand to stroke her cheek. He saw grey blemishes on his wrist and arms. "It's okay my love. I had to do it. I had to bring you back from the darkness. I promised you I would never leave you, and that includes death, darling." He kissed her fingertips and pulled himself up wincing at the pain. "So how bad was it?"

"It was bad. I almost killed you. If The Morrigan hadn't intervened when she did, you would have been desiccated completely. You've been unconscious for four days" her voice shook as she spoke. "I'm so sorry, Liam. That's the one power I never wanted you to see. It's the one I can't control." She looked away from him in shame.

"You will in time. Do you remember when you told me about the revenant? I understand now that somehow you took part of its power during your encounter. Rayne, you are connected to death in a way that most humans cannot comprehend," he lifted her chin and stared into her eyes, "If I'm right, you need to go on a death walk to control the power. You must speak with the dead. Even if you had killed me, I would still have been bound to you, and you would have absorbed all my abilities. I knew the risk, my love." He pulled her to him and kissed her softly.

"You must speak to The Morrigan. She can help you. If she won't then you will speak with my daughter, Hel." Rayne stared at him in wonder. She had forgotten that Liam, or actually, Loki had kids. His youngest daughter, Hel was the keeper of the Norse underworld. She was said to be a beautiful girl on one side and a rotting corpse on the other. However, she was known to be a fierce defender of the dead who did not earn entry into Valhalla through battle. She had a particularly soft spot for children.

Rayne nodded her head. "The Morrigan will come tonight after dinner. She wants to speak with both of us. If she won't help, then, yes, we will speak to Hel." She kissed Liam again. "Do you think I could lay next to you if it wouldn't hurt too much?" she looked at him with wide eyes.

Liam scooted over to give her a space to lie down next to him. He was sore but seemed to be healing by the minute. Rayne stretched out next to him and laid her head against his chest. She tried to be gentle, but she really just wanted to hold him tight and make sure he was safe. She listened to the sound of his heartbeat as his breathing became steady. She realized he had fallen asleep again. Before long, her eyes grew drowsy and she too drifted off to sleep.

Rayne was startled a bit when she heard the door close. The attendants had already slipped in and set a table for them. They also left a standing tray so she could bring food to the bed for Liam. She found another raven feather in front of a carafe of wine.

Rayne,

I will come at sunset tonight. Liam is free to stay in your chambers

for as long as you wish. Make sure he drinks a cup of wine. It has healing herbs in it to help with his recovery.

She made up a plate for him and poured the wine into a goblet. She brought the tray to the bedside and softly kissed his forehead, "Wake up sleepy head. Time to eat and take your medicine." Liam turned his head towards her fully and smiled. He looked much better. His skin only had a few grey marks now and the burn that had crossed his face earlier had receded. Rayne felt a sharp pang of guilt, I nearly killed the man I love. She tried to hide her concern and smile for him again. "Here, the wine has healing herbs in it. Drink while I go get a plate and I'll sit here with you to eat."

Liam lifted up in the bed and drank the wine she offered. He leaned forward, "I'm feeling stronger, I can come to the table." He started to pull the covers back and swing his legs over the edge, but Rayne stopped him. She told him to stay put and rest. "Well, slight issue dear. I really need to use the bathroom," he blushed. "Not very manly, but, um...a little help, please." Rayne also blushed and helped him to stand. His legs were still weak, so she walked with him to the bathroom and waited outside until he was done. Liam paused to look in the mirror at his chest and face. Her magic had carved pockets of skin from him that now looked grey. He could see where most of them had healed. Looking at his scars, he now realized how close he really had come to death. It spooked him a bit.

When he opened the door, Rayne had a concerned look on her face. "You saw the scars, didn't you? I'm so sorry Liam. I'm so ashamed of what I've done to you, what I almost did.." she started to sob. He pulled her against him, using the door frame to stabilize himself. He kissed her forehead and wiped the tears from her cheeks. He put a finger to her lips, "Shhh, it's over now." he kissed her softly. They limped Liam back to the bed and ate only speaking a bit.

When their meal was finished, and the attendants had cleared everything, Rayne began to dim the candles around the room. Liam raised his eyebrows as if to ask what she was doing. "Oh, she prefers the dark. Of course, until that day on the field, I didn't even know she was The Morrigan. She has always hidden her face from me. I only saw her for a moment that day. Apparently, she used a spell to separate you from me and bring me back from the darkness." Rayne stopped and looked at Liam, "She saved you. She stopped me from killing you."

"Then I owe her my thanks," Liam said, lowering his head.

"Yes you do Trickster," The Morrigan came into the room silently. Her gown flowed behind her. This time a large raven accompanied her. Rayne recognized the bird from her apartment window the night she had dinner with Liam. "I see you remember my friend, Dílis. He has checked in on you from time to time." Dílis landed on the floor in front of Rayne, tilted his head, and then bowed to her.

Rayne looked up in shock then back down, "The honor is mine, Dílis." Rayne took Liam's hand and waited for the Lady to speak again.

"I think it is time to lift my spell and give you your answers." The Morrigan waved her hand and Liam coughed, gasping for air for a moment. Rayne looked alarmed. "It's fine. He had asked to forget who I was so he would not be forced to lie to you. You see, I went to visit him a few days ago in his cell. He recognized me immediately, but I didn't feel you were ready yet. I'm not entirely convinced you are now, but after your reaction on the battlefields, the situation has changed." The Morrigan sat down in a chair near Rayne, The candles lit up around the room. "No more shadows between us, child."

Rayne paused and looked at Liam, he nodded, "Ask what you need to know, love. You're ready." She took in a deep breath and began.

"Why am I here, and where is here? What happened on the battlefield? How did Liam get there and why did you help us?" She paused, trying to think if there was more.

The Morrigan pointed to Liam. "He teleported from sheer stubbornness onto the field. He thought he could save you from the darkness," she turned towards Liam, "I must admit I am impressed, Trickster. You meant what you said, you really would sacrifice your immortality for her." She smiled at Liam, he nodded in acknowledgment. "That is why I intervened. His love is true and I could not bear to see you suffer had you killed him. You could not contain your anger and it consumed you. I believe Liam is right about the revenant and your need for a death walk." She paused for a moment and taking a deep breath, she stood. "As for where you are, well that should be obvious. You're in Tír na nÓg. Welcome home, my child, long have I missed you." As she spoke these last words, the Lady removed her mask. When Rayne stood, she realized she was looking at the true face of The Morrigan, it was the face of her mother.  

Author's Notes:  Were you surprised or had you already guessed from my clues?  Please follow, vote and comment.