"Hey there kiddo!" His father's deeper voice spoke up behind him, he could hear the smile on his lips. His sister's adorable giggle rang out again before he felt a hand ruffle through his own hair. "Hey Jace, you didn't have any problems, right?" His father asked, aiding him in putting the final bit of groceries away.

"No, we took the long path, no one dared come near us." he said, turning to look at his dad's content face. His father wasn't one to smile, but his face always looked like it was on the verge of a smile, something that had become a regular look when he'd met Sally.

"Good job sport."

Sally eventually ushered the three out, claiming she needed to make dinner. Jason was happy with his new family.

—-----------------------------------

His sister's sobbing rang in his ears, her small body shaking violently in his arms as he tried his best to comfort her amongst his own tears.

His vision was shrouded in red and blue, the bright lights reflecting off his tears making large stars in his vision. Cops surrounded them, filling their house, they had begun talking to Sally out the corner of his vision, her body shaking as she talked to them in hushed voices.

Jason's jaw clenched; his arms wrapped around her tightened as another round of sobs left her.

Jason glanced to the side, his eyes spotting the yellow tape preventing them from going into his sister's room.

The cops had come after the gun shots, the sound had woken them all up in the middle of the night.

Jason had woken up and immediately rushed to her room, spotting Sally on the way as they barged into the room. The girl had been curled in a ball, her head was covered by his father's jacket, said man lying not even a foot away, blood pouring from a hole in his chest and in front of him, beside his sister was a man, collapsed on the ground, a choking sound coming from him as his body slowly became more and more limp. The sound of Sally's scream still echoed in his head like a never-ending record.

"Kid, we need to talk to you, do you mind leaving your sister here?" A cop asked, referring to the girl as he gently placed a hand on her back.

"I don't want to leave her." Jason said confidently, the only thing he was sure he'd sounded confident in all night.

"We need to get your perspective now if yo-"

"I said, I'm not fucking leaving her!" he yelled back as he turned the girl away from the man as if he was going to take her. The cop gave him a disappointed look. Jason relented. "Not until her mother is done. She needs to be around family right now." The cop let out a short breath and nodded, turning and walking off.

"Promise me you won't leave me Jason." His sister hiccupped, her words barely being audible.

Jason could only nod.

—----------------------------------------------

"In the case of Jason Todd, we the jury hereby state that custody goes to the father's family..."

Jason could feel his whole world collapse around him as he stared blankly at his hands in his lap. He could hear a small, muffled sob, come from beside him, one that seemed to come from Sally. A cry from his sister rang out in the unusually quiet courtroom.

Jason could feel a hand rest on his shoulder, probably one of his father's family members. "It's alright Jason, you're safe from them now."

Jason hated his dad's family. They'd abandoned him and his father once his father married Sally. They hated her, maybe for the fact that she had a child out of wedlock, or for the fact that she wasn't the wealth they so desperately needed, but for whatever reason, they despised her, and Jason could never forgive them for that.

Jason looked over to his sister, his head turning slowly as the words of the court withered away, the only thing he could hear was his sister's cries, and he wanted so desperately to run over and hug her, maybe they could run off with Sally, together towards that cabin near the ocean Sally always talked about in her stories, anywhere that wasn't away from each other.

But as the session ended and they were brought out of the court, and his sister ran over and hugged his legs, crying and yelling for him not to leave, her grip the tightest he'd ever felt from her, and damn did this feel like a goodbye hug.

He kneeled down, picking her up as they both cried to each other, her cries filling the nearly empty hallways as they both held onto each other.

"You can't leave me! You promised me you wouldn't leave me!!" for a 5-year-old she caught on pretty quickly, she was intelligent, and he knew that this was going to hurt a lot, for the both of us.

"I know I know, but I'll visit, I promise I'll be back, okay? Now promise me you won't forget Mr. Splashy, okay?" Jason asked, referring to her toy whale.

The girl nodded, "Visit often?" She asked.

"Very often, as often as I can, okay?" She nodded, her tears not stopping but lessening.

Sally hugged the both of them, but as soon as she began to speak a rough hand on his arm yanked him back away from the two.

"Let's go Jason, we need to get you home."

"I love you, Jason! Don't forget to visit me!! Don't forget me!!" The girl yelled, her voice carrying down the hall even as he was being dragged away.

"I love you, Percy!"

And just like that, Percy was gone, not to be seen again.

—---------------Jason's POV: -------------------

"Jason!" My head snapped over to Damien, his angry eyes showing their unfiltered rage towards me. I took a deep breath, stepping back from the railings, the drink in my hand lowering as I faced towards him. "You need to get inside and start talking with the guests, no one wants to do this, but you can't be selfish and just not help out."

I scoffed, downing the rest of my drink as I relished the burning feelings in my ears. I could feel the thoughts of Percy easing again, their gravity on my conscious lifting again.

"Right, I'll be inside in just a second, let me just send Roy a message telling him I won't make it tonight."

Damien rolled his eyes. "Of course, you'd try to sneak off. Just come in soon, I don't want another damn question asking where you are." Damien left those very encouraging words dangling in the air as he turned to head inside, his hands in his pockets as he walked towards Dick.

I always wondered where Percy and Sally had ended up, the two often crossing my mind even after all this time.

I let out a sigh, watching as a gust of white air came from my mouth, the cold air contrasted from my warm breath.

With the thought of my previous family fleeting my mind, I turned to enter back into the manor, the sounds of the party sending more shivers down my spine then the cold air.

Time to get back to work.

----------------------------------

1952 words

I'm still working on the other books lol, but this book idea came to me a while ago so this one will be a lot more casual. I hope you all have a great morning, day, or night!

-R