Unhappy

"Louis, I'm not sure I like your new boyfriend," Niall says, brutally honest as always. It's been a few months since that night in the bar but Jack has already convinced Louis to move in with him and sell his apartment.

"Look Niall, the apartment didn't mean anything to me anyways. It's not the same as... you know... the old one. Back when I lived with... you know," Louis counters.

"But Louis," Niall whines. "He doesn't let you invite me over. So we're always here! Not that I mind, it's just nice to have a bit of variation..."

Louis shrugs. "Sorry Nialler. I'd happily have you around, but you know that Jack doesn't like it."

"And I don't like Jack," Niall mutters. "But you don't listen to me. Plus, you're always here. If you're so into your new boyfriend, why don't you spend more time with him, huh?"

Louis sighs. "Well... Jack's ok, but you're like... more interesting. Plus, Jack's always talking about his stupid business. Like, no one cares? I can't really tell him though."

Niall looks at him levelly. "I don't think you're happy, Louis," he tells him.

"Doesn't matter," Louis mumbles. "I'm away from... the person we don't talk about. That's all that matters right now. Plus, I'm not... it's not like I'm unhappy or anything. I'm fine," he assures Niall, with a tight-lipped smile. 

The conversation is interrupted by Louis' phone ringing. 

"It's him, I've got to pick up," Louis says immediately, but his phone is snatched away by Niall. 

"We were chatting. You don't have to drop everything every time he calls. Let's finish up here, and you can call him back later," Niall argues. 

"Niall, give me my phone!" Louis says, trying to grab it back. 

"Why? Why does he have so much control over you, huh?" Niall asks. "This isn't healthy."

"Niall, please, just give me the fucking phone!" Louis pleads, his voice breaking. "Please! Give it to me!"

Niall passes him the phone with narrowed eyes. Not because he wants to, but because he sees that Louis is on the edge of a full on screaming fit. Louis runs out of the room, phone in hand, and calls Jack's number.

Jack picks up on the first ring. 

"H-hello?" Louis stutters.

"What the fuck took you so long?" Jack asks harshly.

"Sorry. I was with Niall, we were just messing around. I'm really sorry," Louis says quietly.

"You're with Niall again? What have I told you about him? He's a bad influence on you, Louis. I don't want you going to his house again, got it? Now get your ass home right now before I find you and drag you home myself." 

"Ok," Louis whispers. He leaves Niall's house without saying bye and chokes back his tears. Louis tells himself that he really isn't as miserable as he feels. Probably just a bit tired, that's all. Then he realises that he's gonna be in trouble when he gets back, and he can't stop the tears from falling, clouding his vision. 

Maybe he is a little bit miserable, actually.