New Eyes

Louis is in a bar by himself. He's by himself because he's hoping he won't be by himself by the end of the night. He sits with a beer, trying to make it last so that he doesn't end up in a drunk mess, like That Night. He pushes the thought away. No more mentions of That Night, ever, he tells himself.

Anyways.

Louis is looking for someone different. He scouts the room for potential partners, telling himself not to limit himself to green eyes. Louis loves green eyes. For no reason at all, of course.

A guy approaches him and Louis blinks a couple of times to clear the fog from his head. 

"Anyone here?" the guy asks casually, and when Louis shakes his head he slides into the seat next to him.

"Do you want a drink?" Louis blurts out. "Umm, and hey, I'm Louis."

The guy chuckles. "Jack," he says indicating himself. "And sure, I'll have a drink."

***

They sit together for a while, making small talk and learning about each other. Louis learns that Jack is an ex-football player. Now he's a businessman, managing some company that Louis can't for the sake of him remember. Jack knows vaguely who Louis is, but doesn't know anything about his music, or his life. From what it sounds like, Jack isn't interested in music at all. Louis doesn't find him that interesting, and he isn't exactly drop-dead gorgeous, but he's ok, and that's enough for right now. 

"Look, I hate to be blunt about this," Louis finally says. He's on his third beer and he's definitely a little bit tipsy. "But I'm sort of looking for a boyfriend, and if you wanted to, maybe we could do something?"

Jack raises an eyebrow. "You want me to be your boyfriend?"

Louis shrugs. He isn't too bothered about the reply, because he doesn't actually care that much. But it would be nice if he got something out of tonight.

"Sure, why not?" Jack says. 

Louis nods. "Alright, great."

When they walk out of the bar Jack goes to hold Louis' hand, and Louis lets him. It's not that bad, he tells himself. Jack is pretty nice. 

He's just not Harry.