Chapter 2- Prince Chun

Start from the beginning

Since he had slept in his clothes, Qi Yunruo's hair was in slight disarray, a few strands loose here and there. Liusu helped him brush his hair. Helped him into a new green outfit before he took his leave.

Qi Niqun had brought four personal maid servants who had served her since childhood to the estate. Their names were Liubai, Liufang, Liuyue, and Liuling. The four of them looked stunning as they stood still outside the main chamber. Once Liusu brought Qi Yunruo right before the entrance, she instructed him to take the basin of water from Liubai's hands.

A soft cough could be heard from inside the room. Two tall maidservants, who seemed like overnight attendants, pushed the doors open from the inside. In walked Liubai and the three other maids, with Qi Yunruo following behind them. Liusu trailed at the back.

One of the tall maidservants drew the curtains of the windows. Then she maneuvered around a divider screen to the master bedroom. The red curtains hanging from the bed, which doubled for mosquito nets, were still closed. The silhouette of a single person sitting upright could be seen.

Liubai and the three other maids had already seen this person before. They saluted and said, "Paying respects to Your Highness."

Li Chen nodded. Seeing that Qi Yunruo did not move, Liusu nudged him. He lost his balance. Splashed some of the basin's water on the two servants before him. Qi Yunruo hesitantly lifted his eyes, then remembered his duties. Quickly, he took a few steps forward and knelt by the bed. He lifted the basin of water.

Li Chen said nothing.

If the master did not speak, no one else would dare to. Qi Yunruo's shoulders started to grow stiff and tired. However, Li Chen had yet to use the basin. As such, Qi Yunruo could only grit his teeth and endure.

In this tense moment, Qi Yunruo helplessly pondered over his master's actions. Or rather, the lack of. In Qi Yunruo's opinion, he had already fulfilled his duties properly. He sneaked a peak at Li Chen. Saw Li Chen lowering his own head to look at him. Panicking, Qi Yunro quickly dropped his gaze.

"Who are you?"

Those words shocked Qi Yunruo to the core. Once again, he lifted his gaze, staring dazedly at the man before him. This man was twenty years old, handsome in a heroic and righteous way, and possessed a high nose. His gaze was serious as he stared at Qi Yunruo. Qi Yunruo was rendered speechless.

Lu Xuan, a servant who had attended to the prince since childhood, presented Li Chen tea. She said, "This is the young master from the princess consort's family."

Li Chen nodded. "Everyone leave. Don't bother the princess consort."

Sure enough, the rest of the people in the room followed Li Chen outside. Furrowing her brow, Liusu pulled Qi Yunruo to his feet. Finally did he realize that everyone had left. He followed suit. On the other hand, both Liubai and Liusu stayed behind, waiting for Qi Niqun to rouse from slumber.

Maneuvering his way around the screen divider, Li Chen sat on the small couch just beyond. This time, Qi Yunruo was quick to perform his duties, immediately kneeling before the prince, the basin of water raised high. As Li Chen washed his face, the other servants handed basins of salt and mouthwash to Qi Yunruo to present to Li Chen. His arms started to grow sore again. After Li Chen finished brushing his teeth, he glanced at Qi Yunruo once more.

Naturally, Li Chen would recognize him. It had taken just a glance from yesterday. Separated by ten or so yards, he had caught sight of a young teen surrounded by several female servants. Such a sight was too conspicuous.

If a dowry escort was female, as the sister or niece of the household's mistress, she had a chance of becoming a side consort in the future. On the other hand, because males could not give birth, aristocratic families often sent some to their newly-wed daughters' households as part of their dowry. Generally, these men were left untitled. Not to mention that their futures were practically ruined, only a minuscule amount of them were liked by powerful masters. Although it's possible for them to pick up officialdom in the future, the chances were slim. It was hard to garner respect even in the odd chance they succeeded in becoming an official.