The Winter Dance

Vriska waited for you after 5th period, inviting you to come sit over with her little group. There was Tavros, the cripple, Terezi, her best frienemy, and Aradia, who seemed like she was there only to protect Tav.

She immediately began babbling on about how you were her new boyfriend and something else that didn't quite make it into your procession.

Dave, whom had been staring at you all 1st and 5th period hadn't said- well signed- a single thing to you. For the longest time you thought it was because he didn't like Vriska or something trivial like that.

He sat with Karkat and everyone who normally sat with you.

You could hear Karkat from across the cafeteria, "WHAT THE SHIT ARE YOU TWO DOING WITH YOUR FUCKING HANDS?" You suspected that Rose and Dave were using ASL, when usually you just decrypted his signs from under the table.

"John? Who are you looking at?" Vriska interrupted any thoughts that were lingering about Dave.

"It's.. it nothing Vris." you murmur. Still staring at Dave, who had his shades on from his birthday. You felt bad for some reason.

The next couple of days went like this, you and Dave had silent conversation with intent stares and signless motion, then you would go sit with Vriska and her friends.

You and Dave rarely actually conversed with each other, that is, until Friday, the day of the Dance.

-turntechGodhead began pestering ectoBiologist at 15:47-

TG: look

TG: im sorry okay

EB: for what?

TG: im sorry ive been ignoring you for the past week

EB: oh

EB: Do you not like Vriska or something?

EB: platonically obviously

TG: no its

TG: anyways

TG: i wanted to know something

TG: though its a little weird

EB: Yea?

TG: did you kiss her back

EB: im going to admit

EB: no I didn't, probably because it was so unexpected

TG: and uh

TG: I was wondering...

TG: I don't have a date to the winter dance

TG: maybe we could go together

TG: as friends..

EB: okay first of all

EB: woah, didn't know you had a caps button on your keyboard.

EB: second of all

EB: Im already going with Vriska.

EB: you can still come,

EB: it would be a lot of fun!!

TG: nah man

TG: its fine

TG: i can go alone

-turntechGodhead ceased pestering ectoBiologist at 15:48-

EB: wait..

You sighed, wishing time could rewind or something. Vriska is waiting at the door, smiling widely. The bell rings and you're the first out, Vriska says she already has a dress for the event. You reply saying you had your own formal attire. She laughs and takes your hand, pulling you out of the school.