Part 11

Slowly blinking my eyes open, I let my gaze wander around the room I was currently in. It was my new bedroom, but I couldn't really recall any memories from yesterday after Alerus took me to the make-shift infirmary.

It was like a giant gray cloud was blocking everything that happened afterwards.

This is quite worrisome, what if something happened and I passed out? Maybe I should ask the others what happened. But then they would surely grow suspicious of me as to why I couldn't remember. And even if something serious happened yesterday, maybe it would be best not to remind anyone of it, neither me nor the others.

I'll just have to wait this out I guess.

Deciding to get up and stretch my legs, I sat up. My head hurt a little and the familiar feeling of dizziness that I had grown accustomed to overtime was back.

As I placed my bare feet on the ground, I heard quiet footsteps approaching my door.

I wondered who it was .

Maybe it's my paranoid eldest brother who wants to check up on me or maybe it's Grimm, who is about to interrogate me about my psyche. Or maybe it's just Rosen who just feels lonely or bored.

The cautious footsteps stopped in front of my door and I held my breath. I was extremely anxious because I wasn't comfortable around any of the other boys yet, especially Rayi. I still didn't know why he was acting the way my brothers did.

He wasn't related to me after all and we weren't really close before so this was very confusing for me. And to add to my confused state, Rayi was the definition of a cold-hearted person who preferred to stay alone.

He was a scary guy to say the least.

The door creaked open, and Alerus poked his head inside. His face held a worried expression and he had slightly dark bags under his eyes.

When he saw that I was awake, he let out a relieved sigh. What did he expect? I never slept in, even when I still lived with them, I got up as soon as the sun set, to watch the few rays left of its glory disappear behind the treetops.

Still sitting on my bed with my feet planted on the ground, I shot him a questioning glance.

At my raised eyebrow Alerus stepped inside.

His face resembled that of a doctor who was about to tell their patient that they had cancer. Wait, Alerus is an actual doctor, right? Oh god, did he have bad news? What if I actually passed out and Alerus found that something was wrong and now he had some bad news to tell me?

Or even worse, what if somebody saw the scars and wounds?

My heart was about to beat out of my chest at Alerus' expression.

But as Alerus approached me, his worried expression turned into a warm smile.

He seemed to be quite relieved to see me awake.

When he arrived at the bed I was currently sitting on, he crouched down in front of me and tried to reach for my wrist. Completely bewildered at his antics, I slapped his hand away. Nobody was allowed to touch me. I haven't felt the comfort of another hand patting my back or a hug since I ran away from Linda and John and I've been getting around quite well like that.

It would be a real pain to be reminded of this crushing memory again.

Alerus shot me a daring glare after my rude rejection and just told me to lie down and get some more rest.

When he left through the door again, I couldn't help but be extremely confused by his actions. What was he planning on doing with my wrist? Did he see some kind of scars at some point or did he want to check my blood pressure?

This dude seriously is a mystery to me. I'm going to keep this weird interaction in mind.

Why am I supposed to get some more rest anyways? Can somebody please tell me what happened?

Getting up from the bed just to spite this weird guy, I started to walk towards my walk in closet. That room was going to be my favorite room. It was extremely spacious with an aisle to sit on in the middle and behind closed curtains was a small balcony with a glass front.

When I opened the curtains I was greeted with a beautiful night sky. Opening the glass door and stepping onto the cold stone floor of the balcony, I felt a cold breeze blowing through the thick hoodie I was wearing.

But instead of fleeing inside to run away from the cold, I stayed.

From my point of view, I could look all the way over the treetops to the mountains far away in the distance.

But what caught my eye wasn't the mesmerizing sight before my eyes, it was a glowing pond.

There was a body of water in the forest, it was very close to the castle, maybe a 5 minute walk away.

But the pond wasn't glowing because it was reflecting the dim moonlight, the light was way too bright to be the reflection of the moon.

Was this some kind of chemical substance? What if it's radioactive?

Why the f*ck is there a glowing pond in the middle of nowhere?

Maybe there is a witch or magician nearby and they decided to turn the pond into a lightshow for entertainment or something. But even then, there were barely any magical creatures out there who were able to practice magic in such a strong way.

You had to be extremely powerful and experienced to create this strong type of magic. Most magicians were only able to practice weak magic like making a feather float, lighting up a candle or drawing a circle onto the walls with their finger.

No matter how hard I thought, I couldn't wrap my head around how it was possible for the pond to glow like that.

Maybe I should ask Rosen about this. But considering his brainpower, he probably wouldn't be able to answer my question. He wasn't very clever when he was going through puberty and I highly doubt that his IQ has changed that much.

Sighing, I leaned onto the glass wall and decided to relax a bit. The glowing water in the pond was sparkling and I could make out some dark plants growing at the outlines of the pond.

Just as I was about to close my eyes, I saw 3 familiar figures in cloaks behind a shady shack staring right back at me.