Chapter 7 ~ Maze D

————————————

————————————

I awake to the sound of Thomas shouting. I groggily open my eyes to see him shooing away a bird that was pecking at our packs. The bright sun filters into the rubble and the air is dry and humid. 

I slowly sit up and look around to see many of the others doing the same, all awoken by Thomas’s small outburst. 

Minho, who is lying next to me, looks around for a moment before he closes his eyes and dramatically knocks his head back, causing me to giggle slightly. 

Thomas stands up and starts to take a look around the place now that it is a lot brighter while I stand up and walk over to Winston who is still asleep. I carefully pull up his shirt and inspect the deep scratches. 

“Aris, can you hand me that pack?” I nod towards a pack that is next to him. He sits up and tiredly yawns as he passes me the bag. I open it up and take out a few t-shirts as well as a bottle of water. 

I quickly rip the shirts into strips which turns out to be quite difficult before opening the water and allowing a few small drops to fall onto one of the pieces of fabric. 

I dab Winston’s cut with the slightly wet cloth to clean it a bit before I wrap his stomach with the strips of makeshift bandages. As I'm tying it off in a knot, I notice Winston starting to wake up. 

“How are you so good at that?” he asks groggily, referring to the neat bandaging work. I shrug lightly. 

“I worked in the med hut with the medics for about a year when I was in the maze so I got some practice,” I reply as I put the water bottle back into the pack and zip it up. 

“Let’s pack it up,” I hear Thomas call out as he walks back over to our group, “Aris, come on.” Thomas nudges Aris with his foot as he’s fallen back asleep again. 

“Fry, Winston, Cassie. Let’s go,” Thomas nods towards us as I grab Winstons arm and help him up. He groans in pain and his eyes flutter closed again.

“Hey, man. You okay?” Frypan asks Winston as he walks over to us and helps me in holding Winston up. 

We all grab our things before Thomas leads us up a pile of rubble as we exit the hollow we were hiding in. I stay back slightly and make sure that Winston doesn’t fall behind too much as he continues clutching his side in agony. 

If only we had some sort of pain medication. When we next stop I should also probably re-bandage my side but for now it feels mostly numb. 

The group comes to a stop at the top of the hill and we all stare in horror and surprise at the city, seeing it for the first time in the bright light. Sand is everywhere, making the whole city look like a desert and the once tall skyscrapers are now collapsed and broken as if the whole place was…bombed?