Chapter 13 ~ Reunited

————————————

————————————

So, where were you and your friends headed? If we go there chances are they might be waiting for you," Hal says as we trudge along a wide road.

We left early this morning at sunrise and have only been walking for about half an hour now.

"We were looking for a man named Marcus. I don't know much more than that," I answer honestly only to notice that Hal has stopped walking.

"Hal?" I ask with concern when I see how pale his voice has gone.

"I know where to find him," he answers quietly as we begin to walk again.

"Wait, Hal. Do you know Marcus?" I question curiously. Hal nods solemnly. 

"I met him two years ago, right before we discovered the underground bunker. My younger brother and I went out looking for him when we heard that he smuggles kids to the Right Arm," Hal starts. My eyes widen in surprise. 

"We found him but he drugged us. When I woke up, my brother was gone. WICKED had taken him. Turns out Marcus pretends to help kids but really just drugs them and turns the immune ones over to WICKED," Hal spits out, disgust and anger lacing his voice.

"We have to get to my friends, we need to warn them about Marcus!" I exclaim and he gives a firm nod.

"If he does to them what he did to Ben, we might be too late…" Hal trails off as he notices the sad look on my face.

"Come on, it's this way." Hal begins to jog as we continue down the road at a much faster pace than before, dodging past rusting cars and collapsed buildings.

We run for only ten more minutes before we stop in front of a building, music blasting from within. Taking deep breaths, we walk up to the entrance where a woman stops us.

“You have to drink this to go inside,” the girl says with a smirk, showing us a metal flask. Hal growls angrily before grabs her arm and pushes her against the wall of the building.

“Where’s Marcus?” Hal questions as the girl gasps in shock. 

“Marcus? Marcus is dead!” the girl exclaims but Hal doesn’t buy it and shakes his head.

“I know Marcus is alive. Where is he?” Hal growls, his voice practically seething with fury.

“Some kids and an old man took him out back into the old hotel,” the girl gasps out, dropping to the ground dramatically as Hal releases her. 

“Let’s go,” Hal says before he leads me around the side of the building and down a narrow cobblestone street that is surprisingly still intact. 

Stopping in front of two large wooden doors, Hal turns to face me. 

“I’ll leave you here. Gotta get back to the base before Liam gets grumpy. It’s our turn to go out scavenging today,” Hal tells me with a small smile.