Chapter 2 ~ 'Not' drawing attention to ourselves

————————————

————————————

I awake early in the morning to the sound of Thomas waking up the others. I roll onto my side and observe them as Thomas starts frantically telling them about…wait bodies?

"What did you say?" I exclaim as I quickly sit up from my bunk, pulling off my blankets.

"I went out last night through the vents and saw doctors wheeling bodies covered in sheets into a room," Thomas briefly explains.

“Dead bodies?” British guy clarifies. I roll my eyes.

“No, bodies of water. Yes, dead bodies!” Thomas exclaims.

What was he doing in the vents in the first place? 

The rest of the boys start to ask more questions but are cut short by a buzzer sounding and the click of our door unlocking.

They all look at me for an explanation.

"It's breakfast time," I tell them before grabbing a pair of clothes from the chest under my bunk and heading out of the room.

"Where are you going?" The boy with the British accent calls out.

"To get showered and dressed," I reply with a slight roll of my eyes before continuing out, leaving the boys behind me to scramble under their bunks looking for the fresh clothes that we are all provided with.

————————————

I enter the already crowded food hall about half an hour later. The line for the girls bathroom took ages so I'm not surprised to see Thomas and the others already sitting down and eating.

I grab myself a tray of food and go to sit at my usual table away from everyone else but am stopped when Thomas calls for me to join them.

I sit down at the table opposite Thomas and next to a boy with dark hair and tanned skin.

"What took you so long?" A Chinese boy with very well styled hair asks me.

"I had to wait in line for the showers," I explain as I take a bite of my weird tasting porridge.

I hear the familiar sound of the large door opening and look over my shoulder to see Janson entering the room. He gives his usual speech before he starts calling out names.

"Alice…Barry…Walt…Edgar…Samantha…"

"I wanna know what's through that door," Thomas says suddenly as he glares at Janson.

"Now we've been over this," the boy with the British accent starts, "You said they were covered up, so you don't know what you saw. It could've been anything under there." I roll my eyes slightly.

"I know exactly what I saw. They were bodies," Thomas states, keeping his gaze on Janson.

"Aris said they bring in a new batch every night," Thomas continues. I perk up at that.

"Aris told you? Was he in the vents with you?" I question curiously. Thomas nods in reply. I wonder why Aris didn't tell me he was going into the vents that night. Usually he and I go exploring through them together.

"Who's Aris?" The Chinese guy with the styled hair questions.

Thomas points to the left and we all turn to see Aris sitting at one of the tables, wearing his usual hood and holding a bread roll up as he inspects it.

I hear Janson continuing to call out names. How many kids are getting chosen today? I feel like it's more than usual.

"Well I'm sold," Styled hair replies sarcastically as we turn back to Thomas. Huh, styled hair…that's actually a pretty good nickname for him.

"And last but not least, David. Thank you for your attention and enjoy the rest of your evening," Janson finishes as he turns around and leaves, the armed guards herding the chosen kids out of the room. 

I scoff at what Janson said. 1) We weren't paying attention to him at all and 2) It's like 10am or something, not afternoon. 

"...and try not to draw any attention to ourselves, right?" I turn my attention back to the boys to see the British guy telling Thomas not to do anything rash but I can tell Thomas isn't listening to him and looks like he has already formed some sort of probably chaotic plan.

Thomas slams his hands on the table as he pushes himself up, striding towards the door where the kids are being led out in a single file line.

"What is he doing?" British guy asks with wide eyes.

"I think he's drawing attention to himself," I answer as I turn around in my chair to watch what he is doing.

I watch him carefully as the guards push him back, probably telling him he isn't allowed through. Thomas struggles for a moment against them.

"Should we do something?" The boy with tanned skin that is sitting next to me wonders aloud.

We watch Thomas for a moment longer and see he is starting to walk back towards us. British accent guy sighs in relief.

"No, he's coming ba…" he is cut short as Thomas whips around and tries to run through the two guards that are about double his side.

We all scramble up and run towards him, British accent guy and styled hair pulling Thomas back as he struggles. 

Everyone starts shouting at each other incoherently. I stand slightly to the side of the group as Janson rushes down the hallway and pushes past the two guards to come face to face with Thomas.

"Hey, hey! What's happening here?" Janson exclaims as he turns to face the guards before turning back to face us.

"Thomas, I thought we could trust each other," Janson says as he places a hand on Thomas's shoulder, "You know we're all on the same team here." 

I glare at Janson and his awful act of actually caring.

"Are we?" Thomas questions. I turn my gaze back onto Janson who looks slightly taken aback by Thomas's question.

"Get them to their bunks," Janson says curtly. I narrow my eyes in suspicion. He didn't answer Thomas's question. 

Janson turns on his heel and leaves the hall as one of the guards grabs Thomas by the arm and the other herds all of us back to our bunk room.

Great…I never even got to finish my porridge.

(1040 words)

If you spotted any Grammar errors feel free to let me know. I try to edit it before hand but still sometimes miss things.