Chapter 1 ~ Subject D-18

———————————

———————————

1st person pov

I heave for breath as I run as fast as I possibly can. I run as though my life depends on it…My life does depend on this. 

"Cassie, faster!" A voice yells from up ahead. Increasing my pace, I ignore my legs' screams of pain. 

Following the figure in front of me, I take a harsh turn right followed by another turn left. My shoes slip against the rough ground beneath me, causing me to bang into the cold stone wall on my right. 

Using my hands to push myself back up, I continue running. My hands are now stinging along with the pain in my legs and my chest burns as I struggle to inhale enough oxygen.

A loud screeching sounds from behind me, followed by the clambering and scratching of cool metal legs against stone.

A soft grip of a hand appears on my back, urging me forward; to run faster. The screeching behind us grows louder as the creature gains on us.

"Look!" The person behind me shouts out in joy. I look up and see the familiar large, stone opening come into view. We're so close now, we can make it. 

With a harsh release of air and the groaning of gears, the doors slowly start to close, the exit becoming smaller and the distance between us and freedom growing increasingly larger.

"We're not going to make it!" I cry out as my legs threaten to give out beneath me.

"Go Cassie, go!" The person gives me a final push, the push I needed to get me through the doors. I continue to run, not noticing the absence of the hand on my back, as I make it through the doors that are now barely open.

Turning around to face the doors, I notice a lone figure on the other side of the doors through the small gap that remains in the doors.

"Will!"

I try to run forwards but someone grabs the back of my shirt, pulling me back. 

"Will! No!"

With a final release of air, the doors shut with a large thud; sealing Will's fate. No one survives a night in the maze…

————————————

The Scorch Trials

————————————

First person pov

Location: Unknown.

I awake with a start, sharply shooting up in bed as I breath heavily. I dreamt I was there again…in the maze.