Chapter 5 ~ WICKED isn't good

————————————

————————————

I feel like I'm under water; I can hear voices talking around me but it’s muffled and sounds so far away. I slowly pry open my eyes and turn my head to the side, blinking a few times to clear my fuzzy vision. 

I find myself lying on a hard bed, an uncomfortable nasal cannula in my nose and an IV in my arm that is stinging lightly. What happened…?

Tears fill my eyes as I remember that strange dream I had. It felt so real…

“Cassie, hey, are you okay?” someone shakes me lightly before removing the nasal cannula and carefully taking out the IV. I turn my head groggily to the side to see Thomas kneeling next to my bedside, a concerned look in his eyes. 

“What happened?” I ask hazily as he helps me to stand up. I look around the medical room to see Minho pointing a gun at a group of doctors that are huddled togethers while Newt ties them up with bandages. Frypan, Jack and that girl with dark hair, Tessy or something I think, all stand to the side as they eye the closed door with worry.

“I’ll explain later. We have to go.” Is Thomas’s only reply as he holds my arm to help me stay standing, I’m still unsteady on my feet from whatever sedative they gave me. 

I hear a smashing sound to my right and whip my head to the side to see Newt pushing over a table before he and Frypan shove it in front of the door. Only moments later, the door is slammed into by the outside as multiple guards attempt to push it open. 

“Okay, we gotta get out of here!” Minho yells as we all run backwards, as far from the door as possible. Thomas looks around and his gaze falls on the large glass window behind us that acts as a sort of room divider. 

Thomas pushes me back towards Frypan, who holds me steady, before he grabs a stool that was beside my bed and smashes it against the window. The window holds steadfast against the stool.

“Newt! Help! Help!” Thomas calls Newt. Thomas hits it again, only this time Newt also grabs a stool and the two of them simultaneously smash the stools into the glass. The window instantly smashes, causing us all to jump back slightly at the loud noise. 

Thomas uses his stool to clear some of the glass along the edges. Shouting sounds from behind us and I look to see the guards breaking through the door, inches away from slipping through. 

Tessy grabs a sheet and puts it over the leftover glass frame so that we don’t cut ourselves but Thomas ignores it and continues to jump over the glass frame next to the sheet before turning around and calling for us all to come. 

Tessy climbs through first with the help of Thomas before we all rush to follow, Frypan going before me and giving me a hand when it’s my turn. I climb through, accidentally putting a hand on the frame and cutting my hand on shards of glass. I ignore the stinging pain in my palm as Frypan grabs my arm and we run over to where the others are standing.