Rock Bottom

By the age of three, Grillby had become efficient at making small meals for himself. Sometimes his parents too, in an attempt to get on their good side, but it seemed their minds were already made up. Grillby supposed that he didn't particularly care. He could try and try, but they would never change unless they actually wanted to. Abuse and neglect was like addiction. Attempts wouldn't work unless the guardian wanted it to work. So parent and child alike ignored each other unless Grillby did something that got him into trouble. He was always careful not to do it again these days, now that he was a little older and understood just a little bit more. He was still only three though, meaning he still did get into trouble a lot. One such occasion, Grillby decided he wasn't going to but up with this punishment and snuck out of the house through his window. This was Grillby's first time outside. He got disoriented pretty quickly with all the village's sounds and sights. It was a better known village, many merchants and pettlers passed through in, lots of rich humans and monsters riding in their coaches. Grillby tried to find a quiet place to hide way. It was one of the best decisions he could make.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

The tavern he'd accidentally fled into was a warm and welcoming one. It wasn't open yet, but the barkeeper watched Grillby as he ducked under one of the tables and pressed his back into the wall. For a child his age and seemingly in a state of panic, he was well in control of his flames. The Earth Elemental was walked around her counter and approached him, crouching to peak under the table. "Ye lost, lil boy?" Grillby flinched away, trying to back up further. He didn't want to be hurt again and he definitely wasn't ready to go back. "Ah. I see. Ye have strict parents, don' ye lad?" When Grillby still didn't respond, she continued. "Well, I suppose I don' mind ye hidin' out 'ere. So lon' as ye work fer it." She winked at Grillby. "Nothin' too hard fer a tiny tot like yerself o' course. Come boy, le's get ye started." She grabbed Grillby's arm, pulling him out from the table and leading him to the back of her tavern. "I'm Rocksha by th' way, welcome to th' Rock Bottom Tavern!"

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"Yer job is simple." Rocksha was explaining as she dug around the place, looking for something specific. "'ere we are! So th' water can' harm ye." She held the gloves out to Grillby, who was looking more and more scared at the moment. Did she just say water? "Ye don' wanna wash th' dishes?" It hurt every time he was made to wash the dishes, so that was a big no. Grillby backed away. Rocksha frowned. "Then... how 'bout servin'. Would ye like ta serve food an' drink instead?" Grillby looked up at her inquiringly. "Great! I will teach ye th' basics then!" Thus, when people started coming in, little Grillby served their food and drink. Most of the time he got nonharmful head pats for being a 'good child' words he'd never heard before until that day. Grillby like it here, he decided. There was such thing as nice people in the world. He seemed to have impressed Rocksha too, another first. Grillby loved it here, but he knew he would have to go back eventually. He didn't want to burden Ms. Rocksha with his troubles. He would be back though.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

And he did. Nearly every day. He would rather be there than at home anyway. He was treated better at the Rock Bottom anyway. "Why are ye so scared scared o' water? I know it hurts ye, but still..." Rocksha worried about her young charge, though she knew she could do nothing to help him. She wasn't expecting an answer from him. In the two weeks he worked at the Rock Bottom, he hadn't said a word. "It was pun-ish-ment. It hurt." Grillby replied simply. "I serve again?" Rocksha looked stunned, but shook it off quickly. "Yer parents punish ye with water aye? Well, I won' be doin' that ta ye 'ere. Tha's what these 'ere gloved 're fer. They protect ye from th' dangerous water. Still, if ye don' wanna do it, I ain' gonna make ye. Le's go serve." Grillby smiled at Rocksha, happy with this agreement as he followed her out to the dinning area.