Studies

Wingdings clutched the paper close as he ran to the market for a job. He was determined to get that money back before the traders returned for the warm season and with his language nearly complete, he should be able to communicate with everyone. "Good morning." Wingdings spoke as he signed along, more out of habit now than anything. "Good morning... how can I help you?" The desk monster was a bit taken aback by his strange hand signs, but continued to be polite. "I am looking for work in which to obtain G. Do you know of anything I could do to achieve this?"
"G..? How old are you? You must be at least ten to get a job here. Or anywhere around here for that matter. It is a town policy." The monster reminded Wingdings. He hummed at the predicament. He was eight, but he was taller than most of the children that were around his age and smarter than them as well. "I am ten." The monster sighed. "Well then... I suppose there are a few chores you could do for me for five G." Wingdings frowned slightly at the low pay, but he would take what he could get.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Wingdings headed for the next shop, across the market. A small hut filled with all sorts of science equipment. Wingdings had to admit, he was curious. He was careful not to touch anything but most of this stuff he only read about in books. Microscopes, beakers, test tubes, bunsin burners, and etc. There was whole skeletons (non monster ones) that were assembled, most of them being different sorts of animals. There were also different types of feathers, skins, pelts, antlers and horns. "What are you doing in here! Get lost kid!" It was a human male that tried to shoo Wingdings off, but he was intrigued. "Are you one of those scientists?" The human paused, adjusting his coat. "And if I am?" There'd been quite a few haters, no doubt. Science was still new to the world and most would rather believe than see the facts before them. "Are you studying these animals? Could you tell me more about your studies?" The human looked taken aback. "I- well... I am studying life in its many different forms. Trying to understand why they do what they do and we do what we do..."
"Tell me more?" Wingdings requested.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

That's how he and Dr. Franklin Rosher came to be aquainted. Wingdings came by every afternoon after doing random odd jobs around the town to learn more about Dr. Rosher's discoveries. "You know, Wingdings, you have the makings of a real scientist in you too. I'll tell you what. What do you want to study? I'll give you some space in my lab to do it. Then we can help each other in our studies. You can learn from my studies and I can learn from yours. What do you say?" Wingdings eyelights morphed into stars as he bounced in place. "That sounds amazing Dr. Rosher- thank you! I think I know just the thing to study as well!" The good doctor tilted his head. "And what would that be, dear boy?" Wingdings gave an excited smile. "Souls! I want to study souls and their functions. For instance why do some humans have magic but others don't? Why do all monsters have magic rather than being like the humans? Why do monsters turn to dust and humans do not? How do monsters who do not have eyes see, how do monsters who do not have ears be deaf."

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"I have begun my own study with the scientist today." Wingdings told Kazar happily. The Tiger in question was at his desk reading. Soon he would be heading out as well to unburden Wingdings some with everything he's had to do over the winter. "Your own study?" Kazar asked. "What of?"
"I am studying souls. Their functions and power. The comparisons of human souls to monster souls. Soul defects. Soul bonds." Wingdings replied. Kazar gave him a smile. "That is great, Wingdings. Please do tell me what you find?" Wingdings nodded eagerly in agreement. "Of course! I know how much you like this this stuff I will relay to you everything I learn, I promise." Kazar smiled happily. "Wonderful, thank you Wingdings!" Wingdings smiled back. "You know... I can introduce you two one of these times, when you start going outside again." The Skeleton offered. Kazar shook his head. "No. It is good for you to make your own connections. I will not interfere." The Tiger chuckled. "Besides... I am a tiger. I tend to be intimidating to most." Wingdings patted Kazar's shoulder. "You are no more than a cuddly kitten to me."