Adaption

Wingdings stepped out into the crisp, cold, winter morning. He thought, not for the first time, of how much he loved winter. It was simply beautiful the way the snow glistened, undisturbed by any animal or human or monster. The icicles hung off the trees with dangerous beauty, a reminder of how nature really was. He sighed, watching fog form in front of him for a moment before he stepped off the porch to get more wood. Kazar was not suited for this weather, unfortunately, and while he would cut wood for himself anyway, Wingdings insisted that he should stay near the warm stove. The cold bothered him none. As long as his soul was warm, he was fine. Wingdings looked around at his surroundings once more. With the disadvantage of being unable to hear, Wingdings could never know if someone was sneaking up on him. Satisfied that he was alone, Wingdings started his task of chopping wood. He learned survival skills not to long after he started lipreading so that if he and Kazar were ever to be separated he could live on his own. Soon he'd amassed a good pile and with the assistance of magic, started carrying it back inside.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Wingdings paused upon seeing a deer monster trying to flag him down. "Hello?" He greeted, wondering how long they've been trying to gain his attention. He hoped they hadn't been yelling for his attention or something. "Geez kid." The animal huffed... or maybe it was a word Wingdings missed. "Are you deaf or something?"
"As a matter of fact, I am." Wingdings response was immediate. "How may I assist you?" The monster seemed taken aback before narrowing their eyes. "Then how are you-"
"I am reading your lips." Wingdings cut them off. "Do you want assistance, or can I get out of this cold?" Wingdings didn't have the patience for temperamental people. Or anyone but Kazar in general. "... the King is coming to check on his people and hand out gifts.." They grumbled. "Very well, thank you." Wingdings inclined his head in a small farewell before he took the wood inside to inform Kazar and keep him warm. The purple tiger was huddled in a blanket near the stove when Wingdings entered. He placed the wood to the side, grabbing two to feed to the fire.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

He felt a tap on his shoulder as Wingdings was adding the logs and stirring up the burning embers with the poker. He turned to Kazar, humming. "Thank you, Wingdings." Wingdings nodded, sitting back on the floor. "I was told the King is coming today. I do not think we should go. Not if the cold bothers you so." Kazar grumbled, his lips hardly moving for Wingdings to read. "Huh?" Wingdings prompted. "I said that it is a shame, I would have loved to introduce you to the King, Wingdings." Wingdings smiled and patted Kazar's shoulder. "Perhaps another time, Kazar, perhaps another time." Wingdings went over to the shelf and pulled out Kazar's favorite book. "Why don't you entertain yourself? I'm going to check the snares." Kazar frowned. "Are you sure your fine being out like this in the winter?" The tiger fretted. "I love the snow." Wingdings replied as he looked away from the tiger and slipped back outside with a small bone in hand. Admittedly he hadn't worked much on his magic, be he could form bones to whatever size and shape he wished. He typically practiced when Kazar was busy and he was more or less alone.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

He walked these woods a few times with Kazar. They were quite the sight no matter the season. This time of year, the ice and snow turned the bark white, making the trees glow, no matter if it was night or day. "A fox.." The red animal squirmed as it hung by a paw in the air, trying to bite at the rope. It happened on occasion, they'd catch something other than rabbit or weasel. Fox was still eatible, but it was still alive, not caught the neck as most were. It was a lucky fox. Wingdings walked around it grabbing its nape from behind as he lifted it into the air. It struggled as he tried to untangle its foot and just like that, the creature was gone. If it was lucky, it wouldn't fall into another snare. Wingdings reset the snare and started checking the others. Rabbits, weasels, the odd squirrel or two. Surprisingly a lot for a winter day. They'd be set for a little while. With all the snares checked and reset, Wingdings headed back with the catch. It really was too bad the market wasn't open during the winter. Meat got boring after awhile.