"As a teenager, this was definitely much to handle. And as a high school student, it was even harder to hide. Nevertheless, I persevered and left America to find workmanship here in Venice and build a skill that would take me places. So, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my very first collection, From A Sound Mind." I tell them and a round of applause is heard before everyone starts walking around.

People are sprawled all over the gallery as they observe and critique my work.

"I told you, you'd kill it." Shannon says, standing beside me.

"This is the bravest thing I've ever done. And I sold cocaine for a while." I tell her and she laughs beside me. I stare at her with a serious expression and she stops laughing immediately.

"Oh, you're serious?" She asks and I nod.

"We're gonna need to put you in therapy." She says, pulling me into a side hug.

"I'm fine." I tell her.

"And some anti-depressants." She adds.

My phone rings in my hand and I stare down at the screen.

It's Martha.

She's the only "family" that exists to me. Everyone else is dead to me. I'm not mad at my mother anymore, but I'm not going to associate myself with her. I know I shouldn't have cut my father off, but things were just too complicated. And since I wasn't really his blood, I just want him to focus on his new family and forget me.

"Hey, M." I say, pressing the phone to my ear.

"Hey, Jasmine." She says. She sounds happy.

"How are you, Martha?" I ask her.

"I'm fine. I just wanted to congratulate you on opening your art exhibition." She tells me.

"Thank you. That really means a lot." I say, smiling.

"And I wanted to ask if you liked these green pants?" She says and I'm totally confused.

"What are you talking about? I can't see you, auntie. Let me FaceTime you." I tell her.

I feel someone touch my shoulders and I jump.

"They'll be no need for that." Martha says beside me and I literally scream.

What is she doing here?

"Auntie." I shout before I hug her.

"Hey, babygirl." She says, patting my hair as she laughs.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her when I pull away.

"Laverne flew me in. We wanted to surprise you." She says and Shannon awws beside me.

"You guys." I say about to cry.

"Where's Laverne anyway?" Martha asks.

"He's somewhere around here. Hi, I'm Shannon." Shannon says introducing herself.

"Here." Martha says, handing me a handkerchief to wipe my tears. "Nice to meet you." She says, turning to Shannon.

The two of them engage in conversation and I feel a hand on the small of my back. I know it's Laverne immediately, because of the cool metal championship ring on his finger that he rubs against my back.

"Hey, baby." He says into my ear and I lean into him.

"Where were you?" I ask him.

"Nowhere." He says, shrugging.

"Sure." I say and he kisses my cheek.

"I see your aunt and Shannon are getting along." Laverne says as we stare at Martha and Shannon converse six feet away from us.