Don't Fly Away •Kim Seungmin•

Start from the beginning

You kept your head out the window as you let your body move without thinking. You found yourself climbing out the window, and nothing was stopping you.

Except for-

"Hey! What are you doing?!" a boy's voice suddenly interrupted your movements, causing you to stop moving as you turned your attention in the direction of his voice.

Your eyes landed on a particular boy who was standing on his balcony facing your way. He was your neighbor. You've seen him before in the lobby, but didn't think anything of him. He was cute, though. But there was no way he'd think the same about you, especially after one glance. Of course, this is how your mind works.

He looked scared. Or better yet— worried.

His hands were gripping the railing of his balcony so tight that his knuckles turned white. His eyes were big, sort of like a puppy.

"Just hanging out!" you shouted back with a little laugh at your hilarious dad joke, swinging your leg that was hanging outside your window.

It didn't phase you that you were seven stories in the air. Nothing phased you anymore.

The boy suddenly brought a hand up to his hair, running his fingers through it nervously. He turned back to you, standing up tall.

"Could you- could you please get back inside?" he pointed at you. You noticed how anxious you made the boy by swinging your leg or even moving the slightest inch.

A grin played on your lips.

"I like it out here, though!" you replied, shuffling your body more to the edge of the windowsill outside. If you couldn't experience any thrill anymore, you might as well apply it to others.

"But you'll fall!" the boy shouted, waving his hands in the air as he saw you move.

You blinked at him for a moment. "So what if I do?"

The both of you fell silent. All you could hear was the sound of the cool breeze and faint cars driving down below your foot.

"That wasn't meant to be said out loud," you admitted with a slight laugh to fill in the silence in the air. This boy was for sure going to send you to get some help once you get back inside. If you get back in, that is.

You wouldn't be lying if you said that you had nothing to live for besides stress and anxiety. It was true. No loved ones, no pets, no one to care for you...no one. All that you lived for was bad for your mental health and it was slowly but gradually eating you alive. Nothing gave you thrill anymore because the thought of something happening to you didn't scare you. Something inside of you begged for it to happen.

The boy looked at you with worry, his hair flowing with the breeze. You found him...handsome. But mainly pretty. How could someone look like that without even trying?

"Have you ever wondered what it would be like to fly?" you blurted your main thought out loud, diverting your gaze back to the busy city ahead. Your eyes landed on the glowing moon between two buildings.

After a long moment of no response or even noise coming from the boy, you turned your head to look at him. But he was gone, just as you thought. No one cared for you. Especially a stranger.