Chapter 20

Chapter 20
Later

They say that time is the greatest healer. I think they are right.

But to also say that time helps you forget about the past is something that is just not possible. Time heals but it doesn't let you forget. It will always remind you of the hurt and the pain of your experiences. The only thing that time does for you is help you get used to that feeling until it doesn't hurt anymore. Until it doesn't make you cry every time you think about it. Until you're finally used to it.

And I know... because this is how I feel now. I know... because it's been years. But it still felt like all of it only happened yesterday.

"Why are you more nervous than me?" he asked when we went out of his car.

A valet welcomed us and Bright immediately gave him his keys. The valet nodded at us before going inside his car. Bright jogged toward me and immediately reached for my hand. He squeezed it tight before darting a comforting look at me.

"It'll be fine," he reassured. I nodded and trusted his words. I am very nervous right now and I kind of felt bad. I should be the one reassuring him right now, not the other way around.

But what can I do? I don't want to pretend that I'm not nervous at all. I don't want to lie about my feelings, especially in front of Bright.

It was Wednesday now and tonight is when we will have dinner with my dad. My father rented a whole restaurant just for this night which weirded me out because he only usually settles in a VIP room whenever he meets with me. I wonder if this means that he is planning to take his time talking to us, and that's why he had to rent the whole place.

"This way, Sir," a waiter guided us as soon as we were inside. Despite the whole restaurant being empty, the waiter still redirected us upstairs where the VIP rooms are. That confused me a bit. But then again, when did I get what goes on my father's mind?

"Mr. Somchai Opas-iamkajorn is already waiting inside," the waiter said when we stopped in front of a large gold door, one of the biggest VIP rooms in this five-star restaurant.

"Hey," I felt Bright tug my hand so I couldn't help but look at him. He tilted his head and smiled a bit at me. "Stop worrying, love. We'll be fine..."

I took a deep breath and slowly nodded. He's right. I should stop worrying. My father may be strict but I'm sure he's not rude. He can't be rude to Bright. Besides... if he meddles with my relationship with him, then we can just quickly leave him there. I agreed to bring Bright here so he could meet the person who I consider very special to me, not so he could judge him.

The waiter opened the door for us and it revealed my father sitting at the end of the long table, alone, sipping on his wine like a king on leisure.

I cleared my throat even harder than before. And this time, I squeezed Bright's hand as if reminding him that whatever happens, I am here to protect him against my dad.

"Good evening, Sir," Bright bowed when we were in front of Dad, and then removed his hold on my hand to offer his hand to my father.

He looked at us with his usual eyes—dark, mysterious, and unreadable. He didn't even stand up and just darted his eyes at Bright. His eyes then slowly fell on the hand in front of him, until a small smile crept on his lips.

I tilted my head and stared at him confusingly. I didn't know why that threw me off and only made me more nervous.

"Sit," my father said coldly, but the small smile was still on his face.

My heart pounded profoundly as I watched Bright defeatedly take back his hand that was never touched by my dad. I am so nervous to the point that I can swear that one wrong move from my dad and we'll really leave immediately.