Prelude

It couldn't exactly be said that I wanted to leave, and most definitely hadn't planned to leave. I would also bet on anything that the world hadn't planned for such an evil to arise and take over it either, however. A black diamond painted itself darkly and defiantly in my head.

My heart constricted a little-even though the Dark had a cruel, frigid heart, I still felt horribly bad for the poor thing. Proving himself...

I brushed my hand across my eyes, reminded of how my eye color was a pale, fuzzy blue-gray. I was part of the Winter Tribe-thank goodness, though, not the Spring Tribe. I couldn't imagine having such a patronizing leader who picked on you like that...

Stop feeling bad for the people who want to kill you.

I pressed two hands to my heart, and felt the aggravated feeling of life and death and turning my back on everything I've ever known prick me.

And then I whirled around, dove out of my old life, and into my new.

My hand shook and trembled and quivered, even though everything else remained still. Silent. My movements were the only, lost in this thick forest with only sparse pockets of sunlight illuminating my world.

Well. This was my choice.

In my hand, clammy and tight-gripped, was an object. An invention. One of the inventions. However, the way it was designed, it would only work once. And then it would never be of use again.

I'd intended on using it later, but now, finally...well, it seemed like a good time. Not a good time, but a right time, correction there.

It was a marble-sized object, and inside the clear glass was a small ruby bead. An enmagicked ruby bead, of course.

I pressed the button on top of the glass orb, bringing it to my lips. My hand quivered and trembled more than ever, so much I worried the marble object would drop out of my fingers. But no matter. My lips parted shape as I whispered softly: "Show me when it will happen. And what will happen. Which side will win." At the last word, my voice cracked, but I knew the marble had heard all the same.

My trembling finger let go of the button.

For a second, nothing happened. A million emotions churned through my head-relief, disgust, disappointment. Had my invention not worked? Or had-

My thoughts broke off and chipped away as suddenly the ruby bead began to glow. Softly, at first, but then its light thrummed brighter and brighter. More and more powerful.

In the clear areas of the marble, two words and a number suddenly faded into view, scripted in tiny, neat writing and in a ruby red color.

In 50,000 years.

My breath caught and for a second my head spun-fifty thousand years! That was-I knew it would take some time, but that was-well. That was quite a long period of time.

For a spark, I felt pride-we would survive that long! But after fifty thousand years, what would happen?

The tiny inscription faded away eventually, but I had had my read. However, the ruby bead only glowed brighter and brighter, a pulsing light.

Oh, I remembered the second part of my question: "And what will happen. Which side will win."

The light grew so intense, the marble burned upon touch and I had to look away. But I refused to let go.

I had to know.

For a second, my world flashed in ruby light-and then...

A moment of peace wisped towards my body. My seized muscles relaxed. My breathing slowed until it was steady and smooth.

I dared to open my eyes.