Chapter 16: Desire

Mulai dari awal

As they made it to the bottom, she turned to thank him.

But the prince was right before her. In all of his obsidian glory.

Dressed in a midnight blue rainment, Taehyung overtly represented his territory. A stormy sea against a black night. His black, wavy hair curled over his ears, touching at his tan skin. His hands were dazzled in jewelry, and Leila was close enough to see he wore a silver hoop with a chain attached to the upper part of his cartilage.

A purple crescent charm hanging from it.

He's beautiful.

Her stomach churned at her desperation. Her inability to separate his prettiness from what she needed to do. For a second, her heart ratcheted against the hollow of her chest, waiting for his appraisal. Anything to show she was not the only one lost in attraction.

Then at least they could perish in shame together.

"You look," Taehyung started, his mouth parted as hesitation colored him, his eyes dropping to Jimin's arm that rested around her waist, "nice."

The princess sucked in a breath, lips pursed. Nice? He could've said the same thing to Elder Fareena, and it would've sounded more obscene being said to the old woman.

"Thank you friend." Jimin answered with mock grace, bowing his head lightly as he let go of her waist. Touching a hand to his chest as he did so.

Both Taehyung and Leila ignored him. Though Taehyung let out a disgruntled scoff, his gaze remained on the princess of the moon. Stare searing into her, remaining on her face and not traveling to her bodice or necklace that dangled between her collar bones. He looked frustrated? The woman hadn't even been downstairs for a minute, and he already wished he could be taken from her presence.

"You look fine. I would've preferred something more elaborate." She lied, stepping past him so her perfume would drift across to him.

Not looking back to see his reaction.

Leila smiled, walking through the open columns of her palace into the night air. Hearing the swift steps of all the men trying to catch up behind her. The jasmine air breezed across her lips, her hair, calming the rapid beating of her chest.

The wine finally settling into her bones, and lifting away some of her worries. The night was beautiful, a wide blanket of the moon and night sky littered with stars. The sand and mountains cutting across the region, a deep royal purple. She could smell the pit fires blazing, the deep sound of drums lifting to her hips. People in the distance, dancing flames as they shouted and clapped.

Her mood couldn't be ruined. Not even as the prince and the advisor caught up to her, as she made her way to the open festival.

"Did you get what we needed?" Taehyung asked, his head dipping close to hers.

She shivered, not realizing just how close he was. The front of his chest warming her right shoulder, that wore no cloak. The warm notes of his deep voice made it seem like he was whispering something naughty, enticing. Not asking about a damn scroll.

"Yes." Leila said in a breathy, amused whisper.

She missed the way Jimin and Taehyung looked at each other in confusion. They had never seen her break away from her usual reserved shell, or under the influence. Taehyung fought hard to hide his smile.