He picks up where I left off. "Are you somewhere feeling lonely even though he's right beside you. When he says those words that hurt you, do you read the ones I wrote you."

Then were both singing. "Sometimes I start to wonder, was it just a lie. If what we had was real, how could you be fine. Cause I'm not fine at all. I remember the day you told me you were leaving. I remember the make-up running down your face. And the dreams you left behind you didn't need them, Like every single wish we ever made. I wish that I could wake up with amnesia, And forget about the stupid little things. Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you, and the memories I never can escape. Cause I'm not fine at all."

I stop playing, and look at him with confusion. "You know 5 Seconds of Summer?"

He just smirks. "I like what I like. I'm not ashamed."

I just laugh and put away my guitar. We do our homework, and I help him study some. Around 7, I hear my dad.

"Sterling. Boy with Sterling! Dinner!"

I look at Rider and laugh. "Would you like to stay for dinner?"

He looks at me with the fakest joy. He uses his southern belle accent. "Why, Sterling. I would be honored to join you and your family for supper." I get up, shove him, and run downstairs.

I run into the kitchen, but stop short right in the archway, with my parents, brothers, and my Mom's parents staring at me. Rider is running behind me, and slams into my back, grabbing my hips to stop me from falling on my face. As soon as he realizes what he has done, he drops his hands and takes a step back.

"Hello Sterling." My grandmother says. She looks at Rider next to me. "And who is this handsome young man?"

"Hello Grandmere." I say to the woman I haven't seen since I was 10 years old.

********************

Rider sits down next to me in our dining room. "Am I missing something?"

"Yes." I say.

"Are you going to tell me?"

"Probably not. I don't tell anyone. Only Brooklyn and Cali know."

"Okay. I understand." He says, as my parents walk into the room.

"Sterling. I expect you to behave. Rider. I apologize ahead of time for everyone's behavior." My mother smirks.

"No need for that, Mrs. Emory." Rider says rather politely. I look at him, with mock surprise.

"I wasn't aware you actually had manners." I say.

"There's quite a few things you don't know about me, Sterling." He raises his eyebrows. My grandparents walk in.

My grandmother is just an older version of my mom. They look exactly alike. My grandfather has gray hair, brown eyes, and is about 6 feet tall. My grandmother carries a slight French accent, because my great grandmother is from France.

My grandmother sits across from me, and my grandfather sits across from Rider. My brothers come in, Mason sitting next to my grandmother, and Brennan sitting next to me. My mother sits at the head of the table next to my grandfather and Rider, while my father sits across from her, next to Mason and Brennan.

As I look at the food, I notice it's all my favorites. Bacon and cheese calzones, my glass has Dr. Pepper in it, and all the settings are blue, my favorite color.

I look around at everyone. They all, with the exception of Rider, are looking me expectantly, maybe with a hint of pity. "This look fantastic Mother." I pause. "Now that we've got the politeness in, why is everyone looking at me like my puppy ran away?" Rider looks up, noticing that everyone is looking at me.

My grandmother is speaks up. "We are aware that the 17th anniversary of your brother's passing is arriving, and we felt some quality family time this year will help you."

I snort and roll my eyes. "I'm fine. Really guys. I seem to have done this perfectly fine for the last 16 years. One year is not going to be any different." I can't help but get an attitude. I should have known my grandparents wouldn't come just to visit me, or watch me play.

"Sterling, that's not the only reason we're here. We're staying here until your volleyball season and the boys' football season is over. We never get to see you guys play. I need some proof that you guys actually don't suck." My grandfather smirks, saying with his French accent that matches his wife's.

"Grandpere, you don't need any proof. We all are beast." I say. "The only one you'll need real proof to know they don't suck around here is Rider." I look over at Rider, but he's just staring at me. I snap my finger in front of his face. "Hello? Earth to Rider? Quarterback?" But nothing. He's just staring. So I try a different route. "Watch out! You're about to be sacked!" I yell.

That yanks him out of his trance. "I am so confused right now."

I just look at him. "About?"

He looks a little embarrassed. "Brother's anniversary? Passing? Ring a bell?

"Oh. That. Yeah, I should probably tell you about that. Let's start from the beginning. I'm supposed to have a twin brother. But he's dead." And then all hell breaks loose.