Chapter 15. "For You"

Wang Yibo parked his car and scowled at the other cars that swarmed the area. "How the hell did they get here?", Yibo hissed and saw a similar anger on Haoxuan's face. "They saw the others leaving the precinct. They must have guessed something was up. You'll be okay?", Xuan asked and Yibo pursed his lips before he answered. "I will." What other choice did he have? The two men got out of the car and almost immediately the group of journalists ran towards Yibo. "Is this another victim of the Death Angel, Detective Wang?..Are you still working on this case, Wang Yibo?...Is it true that you told your girlfriend to extract information from the victims' families?...Is it true that you are going to be suspended from your job, Mr. Wang?...Mr. Wang, did the Death Angel kill again?" The questions rained down upon him one after the other but Yibo's face remained stoic. His eyes scanned the crowd and almost immediately they landed on a masked woman, the dark eyes and dark hair awfully familiar. The sight of Luo RuoXi made Yibo see red but he Yibo restrained his anger, his eyes going vacant. "No comments. Excuse me." He made his way towards the crime scene, Yubin and Haoxuan fanning his sides while the reporters kept screaming his name, hot on his heels.

"Secure the perimeter, Yubin." The man immediately got to work while Wang Yibo's name kept being called. "This is a crime scene. If any of the evidence here is contaminated, it'll make it harder for us to investigate this case. Let us do our work", he addressed the group of people behind him in the best cordial manner he could but still someone shouted, "Work? Isn't that what your girlfriend has been doing for you?" A few people in the group snickered at that and Yibo's eyes darkened with anger. "Leave, Yibo. Don't pay attention to them", advised Yuxi making Yibo swallow his anger as he walked away. He heard Yuxi telling the group that they will be held accountable if anything is disturbed at the crime scene and Yuxi wasn't nice about it. If anything, the man sounded extremely angry, even more than Yibo himself. Yibo could still hear the shouts for his name and even more accusations but all of that dimmed into a background noice when Yibo got past the yellow tape securing the crime scene.

The crime scene unit had responded instantly and Yibo saw the forensic team working on the body while the techs took pictures. Xiao Zhan was examining the body while Jiyang and Wu Heng bagged whatever they could find and the men turned Yibo's way with grim faces when they saw him approaching. All Yibo could taste was blood and death in the air and he stared at yet another lifeless body on the ground, the eyes staring back at him glassy and empty. Yibo had been working actively on the crime scenes ever since he joined the department but staring death right in the face never got easy. Boxing his emotions up, Yibo took his time to assess the victim. The victim was a man, probably in his mid thirties and the scent of stale blood in the air surrounding him made Yuxi behind Yibo curse out loud. The man's clothes were soaked through by the blood, the body positioned against a dumpster in a sitting manner and the jagged wound across the neck could only be described as nauseating.

"Did you find anything on the body?", Yibo asked and Zhan turned to Yibo nodding his head. "His ID and wallet were untouched. Along with those we found four more wallets in his jacket all filled with cash. All stolen. And the victim had this in his hand." Saying the words the medical examiner brought a small plastic bag labelled "evidence" and Yibo's heart picked up pace. The piece of paper said the words, "For You" and the wheels in Yibo's head immediately began to turn and he turned to his officers. "Haoxuan, you and Yubin question the residents of these buildings. See if they saw or heard anything." "On it." Yibo knelt beside the body and ran his gloved fingers over the wound on the man's throat.

"The wound is different from others. It's deeper", he observed checking for the other injuries but finding none. "What was his name? Who found him?", Yuxi asked staring at the victim's body and Jiyang answered him. "Deng Shu. He was thirty three years old, lived almost fifteen minutes away. He worked as a construction worker during the day and robbed people at night. Had a drug problem too." "How long was he missing?", Yibo asked, his brows furrowing because this scene was different from the past five ones. "Since last night. He never went back home. His sister got worried and began looking today morning. A bartender that works in the bar nearby saw the body and reported it. The alley is a shortcut the bartender uses to go to work. There is a bar and a casino nearby, fights often break out, people are mugged and the bartender said he often finds people passed out in this alley. He had thought Deng Shu was just another drunk man but when he saw the blood he called the police immediately", supplied Li Yichen and Yibo turned to Zhan again. "Found any prints?" "Not yet. I'll take the body back after we are finished here and take a thorough look. I feel like one of those reporters will jump in here and screw things up." Yibo nodded his head and stood upright again.